News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Flood Service Medal 2002

(Einsatzmedaille Fluthilfe 2002) Awarded to members of the German armed forces, of foreign armed services, of civilian rescue forces and to foreign citizens who assisted with the flood disaster relief efforts in Germany in the summer of 2002. It was approved for wear by the Minister of Defence but was created by the Ministry of the Interior. The medal is awarded in the same class to all German soldiers regardless of rank. It is the only type of its kind in the German awards system. Some German federal states created their own flood medals for its citizens, but the Flood Service Medal 2002 is the only federally created flood relief decoration in Germany.

Thanks for this Frank.

Perhaps Canada should look at a similar medal to reward CF pers and civilians who deploy each year to such places as Manitoba, etc. during flood season...

Jean-Paul

Thanks for this Frank.

Perhaps Canada should look at a similar medal to reward CF pers and civilians who deploy each year to such places as Manitoba, etc. during flood season...

Jean-Paul

I've seen members of my squadron receive provincial table medals with matching lapel pins from Saskatchewan and Manitoba for special services in assisting during floods and forest fires, but that's it. I very much doubt you'll see anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

(Einsatzmedaille Fluthilfe 2002) Awarded to members of the German armed forces, of foreign armed services, of civilian rescue forces and to foreign citizens who assisted with the flood disaster relief efforts in Germany in the summer of 2002. It was approved for wear by the Minister of Defence but was created by the Ministry of the Interior. The medal is awarded in the same class to all German soldiers regardless of rank. It is the only type of its kind in the German awards system. Some German federal states created their own flood medals for its citizens, but the Flood Service Medal 2002 is the only federally created flood relief decoration in Germany.

no it is not. there was the flutmedaille 1962 which was awarded by three states, Hamburg, Bremen, Schleswig-Holstein.

no it is not. there was the flutmedaille 1962 which was awarded by three states, Hamburg, Bremen, Schleswig-Holstein.

Hallo fregatte, I think you might've misunderstood. The Einsatzmedaille Fluthilfe 2002 is the only federally created and bestowed medal of its kind.

The 3 you mention were not federal awards.

Great picture!! You must be very proud! :)

Correct. While there are several ‘flood medals’ awarded by federal states, this is the only federally-created flood relief medal in the German honours system. It was instituted on 20 September 2002 by the joint efforts of the Federal Minister of the Interior Otto Schily and the then Federal Minister of Defence Peter Struck[1], and awarded to those who assisted in flood disaster relief efforts in Germany in the summer of 2002

[1] Gemeinsamer Erlass des Bundesministers des Innern und des Bundesministers der Verteidigung über die Stiftung der Einsatzmedaille Fluthilfe 2002

hi,

you are right, I skipped the FEDERALLY. and my son was in officers boot camp in Ploen at the time and his company was at the river oder for 4 days hauling sandsacks to the dykes. it worked.

and yes off course I am proud.

regards

juergen

• 9 months later...
    • 8 months later...

Following the flood of the river Elbe this year, the following german states instituted flood relief medals just a couple of days ago:

Germany (federal): Einsatzmedaille "Fluthilfe 2013"
    Brandenburg: Hochwassermedaille des Landes Brandenburg 2013

Sachsen: Sächsischer Fluthelfer-Orden 2013

More states will follow in the next weeks.

Edited by JensF.

Here are some photos I took in and around the city of Torgau in Saxonia during the flood in June 2013 showing the crisis management center in the city with representatives of all relief organisations including the dutch army which joined the flood relief too while being on a training area some kilometers away. "Super Puma" Helicopter from the German Federal Police with sandbags and finally the river Elbe, which had a width of almost 1 km instead of about 200 m usually and its water level was about 7,5 m higher than it should be during this time of the year. We were all lucky that the dikes hold off these masses of water!

Edited by JensF.

Saxonia:

The medal is being produced by the company PräWeMa in Markneukirchen which produced a large part of the former GDR medals too. If you look closely at the flood medal posted by Claudio, you will recognize the pin. Its the same as used for GDR (DDR) medals in the past. It seems they still have huge amounts of these pins on stock.

Edited by JensF.