News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sucker born every minute... FAKE EK Boxes

• Replies 64
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Lordy! that has to be the worst one yet.

Is he down to using his odd socks as inserts now?!

Still though, I have to admit he has inspired me - all the cases below I have modified and added homemade inserts.

Although I still wouldn't have the nerve to attempt calling them original. All have been sold with original medals* and a full declaration of my modifications to the (in some instances - modern/repro) cases. Unfortunately for me, none of them reached the crazy kind of prices this guy has managed.

Maybe I should start looking for some fools instead! :whistle:

Regards - Danny.

(* except for the 1914 bar)

Edited by Danny70

A great thread guys... but a humble suggestion: it might be a good idea to save the pics and post them as otherwise when the links die so do the pics. I'd love to see the cases mentioned in many of these posts but they're gone. For these to continue to educate and help collectors avoid such mistakes it would be good to still have the pics.

Keep up the great work! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

• 1 month later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 year later...

As with all things, some fakes are better than others. I see some pretty laughable cases from time to time. Here are the pics from the auction listed above. Out of curiosity, would this case be attributable to some kind of jewelry, and not cutlery or silverware? This case is far more convincing than many others.

jj.jpg

jjjj.jpg

Hi,

yeah, probably something else, i thought a carving knife set but comparing size it is probably too short.

At the last big Militaria show I was at in Germany 2 sellers had medium sized cardboard boxes full of old boxes like these (and similar).

I bought a couple as they are useful to keep odds and ends in, cost 10-15 EUR each.... some people buy em and made spurious interiors for awards ;-)

Yeah, I didn't really think of a jeweler making cutlery but it seems reasonable to expect some kind of engraved knife or something placed in this  box - perhaps a commemorative piece not necessarily used for food.

I have a similar box that I keep a medal bar in. I can't recall when I obtained it but have never really concluded it was a legit ordensspange case. Seeing this example has me thinking mine is not necessarily an appropriate case, especially with the similar eagle. I will keep a bar in it anyway, as it works well. I will try and take better pics - the one below is from 10+ years ago. I no longer own the Non Com bar shown.

Cased Collection 5.jpg

Edited by Brian R

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I didn't really think of a jeweler making cutlery but it seems reasonable to expect some kind of engraved knife or something placed in this  box - perhaps a commemorative piece not necessarily used for food.

Hi,

even companys like Gobet made silver cutlery... carving knives etc. (Blade delivered to them, silver handels made by them. There is a 800 silver Godet spoon on ebay right now.

Best

Chris

• 2 months later...