News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Athletic Honorings

I want to show here athletic honorings and documents in no particular order.

Everyone can add his medals and documents.

Nationales Olympisches Komitee der DDR (NOK), Ehrenplakette (badge of honor) "mens fervida in corpore lacertoso" (an overflowing spirit in a muscular body).

This might probably be a specimen with the number and the engraving on the reverse:

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

You know, I know almost nothing about these sport badges, except they were obviously a HUGE example of the Marxist notion that citizenship was participatory, rather than decision-making.

Is there a book on these badges at all?

What were the requirements for the DDR sports badges? Did Russians,Ethiopians, Hungarians, Czechs, Bulgarians and Poles get them too?

Any examples to British fellow travelers perchance?

Hi Ulsterman,

"Any examples to British fellow travelers perchance?"

You mean the official "Sportabzeichen (Sportleistungsabzeichen) der DDR"?

I don't think so!

You must first have knowledge about different DDR organizations like FDJ, FDGB or the "Nationale Front".

Please try it with a young British woman :whistle:.

"Is there a book on these badges at all?"

Yes: Frank Bartel, DDR Spezialkatalog Band VI, Auszeichnungen der Sportorganisationen der DDR, 3. Auflage 2007

300 pages with more than 2,300 numbers, many of them with subgroups.

But the book don't include all sports awards of the DDR!

The pieces from Post 1, 2, 5 and 6 are included, but not the other medal and not the documents.

"What were the requirements for the DDR sports badges?"

Very difficult to explain (in English).

Here is a scan from an early "Sportleistungabzeichen" in 1951, level II (from 3 levels) for men:

Yes, there are many hundreds of these medals, not listed in the book from Bartel!

The medal is from the time period 1969 to 1979, because it is the TUS Prora (TUS > Technische Unteroffizierschule „Erich Habersaath“).

Since 1979 it is named MTS Prora (MTS > Militärtechnische Schule „Erich Habersaath“)

Uwe

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...