News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rank insignia of Staff officers

Hello everyone,

After 1828, new rank system was introduced in British army for Adjutant General, Deputy Adjutant General, Assistant Adjutant General, Deputy Assistant Adjutant General, Aide de Camp, Military Secretary, Assistant Military Secretary. Can anyone give details of these?

Thanking

Shams

• 3 weeks later...

These are not ranks per se but appointments/titles. Their rank could be Colonel or Major-General for example while their appointment might be DAAG and AG. The addition of "-general" to the appointment name does not neccessarily mean that they have to be a general officer either.

Thanks milhistry. You are correct. But their uniforms were distinct from others. Specially in collar, epaulette and cuff design. Some special embroideries was placed to identify the appointments. So, I am very much interested on collar, epaulettes and cuff design. I need some images on these.

Regards

Shams

• 1 month later...

Modern Aide de Camps to the Queen wear a gilt metal EIIR below their rank on the epaulettes in No1, Service dress and sometimes barrack dress (depending on whether metal or embroidered rank is worn). This includes Chaplains and Surgeons.

Edited by GuyB

I got my answer from a book named- Staff Insignia in British army 1767-1855, published by Army Historical Research. Its an excellent book. Thanks everyone.

Shams

Edited by sbintayab