News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photo Identification Help - Ceylon Corps of Military Police?

Greetings:

Attached please find a photograph of the grandfather of a friend of mine. It was taken in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) in about 1944. We are trying to ascertain with which unit his father served. The most likely units are:

- Ceylon Corps of Military Police;

- Royal Artillery (Ceylon);

- Royal Army Service Corps (Ceylon).

My "best guess" is Ceylon Corps of Military Police, based largely upon: a) the general shape of the cap badge; b) the fact that the father of the chappie in the photo was an Assistant Superintendent of the Ceylon Police at the time; (ie., family predilection / paternal influence).

Any views?

Cheers,

and thanks,

Glen,

In Our Dominion of the North

PS: Is the little leather case, slung over his shoulder, an official accoutrement?

Could be Corps of Military Police - the Provost Marshall at that time was the man who founded Securicor. Not sure if he

is an officer ? The cap maybe officer's pattern - however, if he is an enlisted man, then he is not in the Mil. Police. The minimum

rank they had to have was L/cpl in order to have a power of arrest. The other thing about him is that his boots are dirty and he looks

very 'off duty' Nothing wrong with that - but not part of the image for Mil. Police.

Glen, I hope someone can identify the badge - menawhile, welcome to GMIC. Mervyn