News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Epaulettes, German or Austrian?

Hello,

I?ve had these epaulettes for quite a while but have never really known anything about them. I always assumed the blue set was for a doctor and the other for an infantryman, both holding the rank of Captain.

Does anyone know what sort of uniform they would have been worn on (mess dress, fighting gear etc.), in which period they were used and if German or Austrian?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

these epaulettes are for a Prussian Stabsarzt and an Hauptmann in Infanterie-Regiment von Courbi?re (2. Posensches) Nr. 19. By the outbreak of WW1 these were relegated to parade and formal wear on the peacetime coloured tunics or Waffenrock although prior to the introduction of Feldachselst?cke in 1866 were worn in the field.

Regards

Glenn

The first set (with the dark blue material) is for a medical officer, I believe they're Prussian (the thin line on the silver braid trim is hard to see, but it appears to be black).

The second set I also think are Prussian. I think they're for a hauptman (captain) in Infanterie-Regiment von Coubi?re (2. Posensches) Nr.19.

I'm not one of the experts here, so you may want to wait for some more opinions!

Well, that's what happens when you take to long to type up your entry! I was busy checking on-line references and then when I post, one of the more knowlegeable folks here has beat me to it! :P

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Tony,

Both of these pairs of German epaulettes would have been worn on the Dunkelblau uniform for non-field use. The doctor's set is for the rank of Stabsarzt. The second pair is that of a Hauptmann from the Inf.-Rgt. von Courbiere (2.Posensches) Nr.19.

Chip

PS In the time it took me to type this, two others beat me to the answer! Talk about service!

Edited by Chip

Does anyone know what sort of uniform they would have been worn on (mess dress, fighting gear etc.), in which period they were used and if German or Austrian?

Thanks

Tony

Hi, again,

I did notice that I didn't say anything about the last part of your question! I believe these were worn for parade dress on the pre-war blue uniform. I know there were plans for a feldgrau peacetime uniform and it may have had a parade version with these too (I don't really know). My guess would be pre-1914. (Oops! I now see that GlennJ and Chip have addressed that issue too!!!)

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Thanks Chip!

What might the 247 be, a catalogue number from a dealer?

They have a bit of damage to the red material and are filled with what looks like wood straw, they also have a strip of steel (which hasn't rusted) keeping them nice and stiff.

Tony

Edited by Tony