News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Rare EK1 with a latch lock of the pin by AWS

As you said, there is no certainty that this grouping had not been mixed and matched even before the Auction. And IMO there is no certainty that - after your restoration attempt- it won´t be split once in the future.

I agree.

I think groupings should stay together but every time a grouping changes hands, there is the risk

of it being split apart. Because the EK was split out of this group, it casts doubt in my mind on

the rest of the items. Who can say what pieces actually belong to the original group.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your comments.

They will be of help when I have to make my decision.

I agree and disagree with Kay. First of all I put ths AWS variation as rare as KMST EK1 with similar attacment. More over I have seen few KMST EK1 on the market. This is the first AWS. Second. The EK has flat surface on the back which is different from the usual AWS "waffle" one. Also it is marked 935 for silver.

Other fact is that it comes from a grouping, which is "well documented", and it puts additinal weihgt on the EK rarety.

I own part of "history" without the price tag attached to it.

I assume that AWS add the additinal latch by request of U-Bouat Commander Hans Adam.Even if the latch was added "after market" by other jeweller it does not reduce its value.

As we know most of the EK1 with rare attacments wre pravetely purhased..only exception could be EK1s made by firm DRGM/KMST.

All known EK1s by this firm have special attacments.

I feel a little bit sorry for the member who claimed that he has bought the grouping, however it is not for the first time we have seen grouping to be split ..and will not be the last. At least I have seen 2-3 Knight Cross groupings bought and then split by the dealers for better profit or easy sell(off course with profit). They do not care about history..what they do care is the profit

Anyway I will wait and see what will be next.

Regards

Graf

It is each individual to decide what he would do.

I would not trade it for popcorn, but not say a definate no.

There are plenty of really sexy pieces out there.... almost any piece in my collection is for trade if you can offer me a piece I like better.

Its a philosophy that sometimes brings great rewards.

Hi there,

In my opinion this EK is probably marked "925" as AWS EKs are unknown (to me) marked "935," the pin is definitely replaced, and the locking mechanism has been added -- perhaps by a jeweler at the request of the original wearer to better secure the cross on his tunic. To explain further: AWS pins were bent silver wire. The bend at the hinge end provided the lift, or tension, for the pin which kept it snugly seated in the catch. So this pin was replaced, but a new mechanism was needed to keep the pin seated, since the original AWS pin design was no longer present. Hence the added plate and crossed wires.

I find it an interesting example of a highly personalized -- indeed unique -- private purchase (duplicate) EK1 that we can be almost certain was actually worn.

As a side note, EK1s with that AWS stamp are very, very uncommon. A raised version is common on the pillowback examples, but the actual stamped version is not often seen.

Congratulations on a fine EK1. I remember when it was offered for sale recently and did save the photos.

Edited by Streptile

Hi,

Just to let you know that after long consideration I decided to return this excellent EK1 to the PLM grouping

It is where it has to be.

The EK is not lost just went where I belive it belongs.

I do not regret my decision and I am happy that I have shared these pictures with you

I may admit that I had in exchange a very nice reward (not money), which in a some way hepled me with my decision

As a WW1 EK1 Collector I feel I have lost. as a general collector I have been rewarded nicely

I hope that the new owner (also a owner of the PLM grouping) will enjoy the reunion.

Thank you for your comments and I will not hesitate to share any new rare EK with the Forum

like this nice screwback Ek1 by Juncker --marked L/12

That is life.

Regards

Graf

Hi,

Just to let you know that after long consideration I decided to return this excellent EK1 to the PLM grouping

It is where it has to be.

The EK is not lost just went where I belive it belongs.

I do not regret my decision and I am happy that I have shared these pictures with you

I may admit that I had in exchange a very nice reward (not money), which in a some way hepled me with my decision

As a WW1 EK1 Collector I feel I have lost. as a general collector I have been rewarded nicely

I hope that the new owner (also a owner of the PLM grouping) will enjoy the reunion.

Thank you for your comments and I will not hesitate to share any new rare EK with the Forum

like this nice screwback Ek1 by Juncker --marked L/12

That is life.

Regards

Graf

As the beneficiary of the thoughtful and considerate decision, I must say that Graf has exemplified the spirit and honor that one would seek in a true gentleman. Although I am sure that Graf would really have liked to keep his EK1, he decided to preserve history and restore a grouping, which is very commendable and not always seen in the collecting world. I would offer three cheers for Graf for being what every militaria collector hopes to be- a man who respects and preserves history and sacrifices personal interest in that pursuit.

Let us all hope that we would behave in a similar fashion to Graf, if presented with the same situation. I must say that I am grateful and thrilled that a fellow collector would be considerate and helpful in a "tough" situation.

Edited by art wall

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the response.

I just did what I felt was the right thing to do... to rectify the dealer actions and to restore the grouping for the sake of the honour of Commander Hans Adam ( and the the member "art wall") I think that is what makes us the colllectors different breed from the dealers. By collecting and taking care of our collections we keep in some extend the history alive...and meanwhile we are enjoying what we have in our hands

Hi Streptile ..regarding the EK1 by Juncker I agree with you. I have been chasing this one for a while, because I had already the 1914 EK2 by Juncker ( or i think it is Juncker because it is marked "J" on the ring)

I like to make sets of EK1 and EK2 by maker..if possible.

It is funny Collectors world... what goes around comes around

Recently i sold to a dealer a very nice mounted Group of Miniatures of Belgium Orders ..two weeks later i was offered the very same group by a different person ( needless to say the group was separeted) The price was twice as the one i had sold it to the first dealer It is amazing

Regards

Graf