News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Well... To be honest with you, I have a few questions about it.

Ribbon 2nd from left... Looks like a wrong ribbon to me...

Ribbon 5th from left, looks like EK2 ribbon but wouldn't go there prior to or after 1935 regs. Are colours wrong because of pour pic?

Ribbon, 2nd from right... What on Earth is that?

Ribbon, 2nd from right... What on Earth is that?

The Colonial Decoration (Kolonialauszeichnung), known as the Lion Order, an unoffical award of the Deutsche Kolonialkriegerbund.

The combination might be possible for a Saxon NCO and Schutztruppe veteran. In that case the 5th ribbon wouldn't be another Iron Cross, but a Militär-Ehrenzeichen 1st or 2nd Class awarded before World War I. The second ribbon is the Saxon Honor Cross with Swords, which was generally awarded to Saxon NCOs who had 20 years of service or who already had the Silver Friedrich August Medal (3rd ribbon). That does fit with the Saxon long service in 6th place.

However, the order of precedence is wrong. The Austrian World War I Commemorative Medal should not be in 4th place, before the other German decorations and the German Honor Cross for Combatants. If anywhere, it should be last. I'm not very knowledgeable on construction, sewing and the like, so I can't say whether the errors are period or if someone just put together a bar with more than a little, but maybe not enough, knowledge. Maybe someone with more knowledge in this area could add his two cents.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah OK... Thank you very much, now that makes a lot more sense. I know the odd ribbon in the wrong order of precedence isn't that rare, but your bar really threw me for a loop. Your explanation is quite plausible.

IMHO, the Austrian ribbon was accidently reversed with the Frontkampferkreuz. Switch those 2 and the bar makes more sense don't you agree?

Thanks for the info on the Lion Order, I had only seen a few before but none were hanging from a ribbon.

Great bar! Cheers!