News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rhodesia - Zimbabwe ribbon bar

Noor

Hi all,

Here is one of my new bars what I got. It is nice to pick up something "unusual" (if its cheap :)) and then start checking out what it is actually.

Anyway, looks like this time I scooped ribbon bar from Rhodesia - Zimbabwe.

Unfortunately pin is broken and gone but I still like it.

1. Rhodesia General Service Medal 1965-1979

2. Zimbabwe Independence Medal, 1980 (I think this ribbon should be first actually)

20162555a3e947_l.jpg

Nice little bar. It's obviously seen quite a bit of wear.

You're correct, Noor - it should be worn with the Zimbabwe Independence Medal in first place.

The Rhodesia GSM was a campaign medal, issued from 1969/70 onwards, for service in operations against the liberation armies during the 'bush war' between 1966 and 1979. The independence medal was issued in 1981, to mark the establishment of the new state in 1980. It seems to have been issued to the uniformed services and civilians.

• 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...

Hi all,

Here is one of my new bars what I got. It is nice to pick up something "unusual" (if its cheap :)) and then start checking out what it is actually.

Anyway, looks like this time I scooped ribbon bar from Rhodesia - Zimbabwe.

Unfortunately pin is broken and gone but I still like it.

1. Rhodesia General Service Medal 1965-1979

2. Zimbabwe Independence Medal, 1980 (I think this ribbon should be first actually)

20162555a3e947_l.jpg

This is correct. Just turn it around so the 'Jongwe' (Independence) medal is in front. The red stripe on the RGSM is worn towards the inside.

Edited by JMA

This is correct. Just turn it around so the 'Jongwe' (Independence) medal is in front. The red stripe on the RGSM is worn towards the inside.

Oh yes... and as a matter of interest the incoming Zimbabwe regime were not going to be dictated to by colonial convention with regard to ribbon width so instead of the usual 33mm they went for 38mm. You can't make this stuff up.

• 6 years later...
    On 18/01/2012 at 18:45, Arthur R said:

Nice little bar. It's obviously seen quite a bit of wear.

You're correct, Noor - it should be worn with the Zimbabwe Independence Medal in first place.

The Rhodesia GSM was a campaign medal, issued from 1969/70 onwards, for service in operations against the liberation armies during the 'bush war' between 1966 and 1979. The independence medal was issued in 1981, to mark the establishment of the new state in 1980. It seems to have been issued to the uniformed services and civilians.

First issued in January 1981. Approximately 40k members of the BSAP and Reserve had to be issued with it alone.