News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RN LONG SERVICE & GOOD CONDUCT MEDAL - EiiR

RN LSM PAIR:

I am am avid collector of badges, buttons, insignia, medal,s patches and flashes associated with Bermuda. I recently purchased a pair of medals, via eBay, from a seller in South Africa. The pair consists of:

NGS with BAR "NEAR EAST"

P/SMX. 789917 T.N.WAKEFIELD. C.P.O. CK. (O). R.N.

RN LSM - QiiR ISSUE

MX. 789917 T.N.WAKEFIELD. C.P.O. CK.(O). H.M.S. BERMUDA

Is their anyway to research the medal recipient, are his service records avaialble? Also, is there any way to tell if other medals are missing from the group?

Research on my part indcates the following"

HMS Bermuda was decomissioned in mid-1962

The NGS medal with Near East Bar was awarded fro service in 1956.

The RN LSM is awarded for 15 years service.

Using the above info, my calculations indicate the lastest Wakefield could have entered the service was 1947 and still receive a LSM while assigned to HMS Bermuda. I get the distinct feeling additional medals should be with this pair.

RN LSM PAIR:

I am am avid collector of badges, buttons, insignia, medal,s patches and flashes associated with Bermuda. I recently purchased a pair of medals, via eBay, from a seller in South Africa. The pair consists of:

NGS with BAR "NEAR EAST"

P/SMX. 789917 T.N.WAKEFIELD. C.P.O. CK. (O). R.N.

RN LSM - QiiR ISSUE

MX. 789917 T.N.WAKEFIELD. C.P.O. CK.(O). H.M.S. BERMUDA

Is their anyway to research the medal recipient, are his service records avaialble? Also, is there any way to tell if other medals are missing from the group?

Research on my part indcates the following"

HMS Bermuda was decomissioned in mid-1962

The NGS medal with Near East Bar was awarded fro service in 1956.

The RN LSM is awarded for 15 years service.

Using the above info, my calculations indicate the lastest Wakefield could have entered the service was 1947 and still receive a LSM while assigned to HMS Bermuda. I get the distinct feeling additional medals should be with this pair.

Not necessarily. He could have joined just after the war and therefore missed out on any WWII medals and could have quite easily missed out on any other conflict. I have seen several similar groups in my time, nice thing to own.

Paul

Not necessarily. He could have joined just after the war and therefore missed out on any WWII medals and could have quite easily missed out on any other conflict. I have seen several similar groups in my time, nice thing to own.

Paul

Also only next of kin can get service details from the PRO from this period.

Paul

If you can prove he died 25+ years ago you can get his service file under the FOI act. It's a running topic at the britishmedalsforum and many members including myself have had great results.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by censlenov