News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WTB: Iraqi Wisam al-Rafidain

Swoop737

Hello. I've been looking for a military order of the Wisam al-Rafidain ever since I missed an opportunity to purchase one while I was in Iraq. I would appreciate any leads! I'm just looking for one example to mostly "complete" my collection. Here are Iraqi medals I have in my collection (and including two Syrian medals):

IraqiMedals.jpgIraqiMedals2.jpgIraqiMedals3.jpg

Very nice collection Swoop. As Markus mentioned in the other thread, these do appear from time to time at auctions.

If you're not in a rush, auction season kicks off in March / April. I recall Lorenzo mentioning that prices for the Two Rivers were selling for astronomical prices in Baghdad ($10,000 for 1st Class sets which are selling for just over 1000 pounds / euros at auctions in Europe excluding 20-25% buyer's commission).

So you haven't really 'missed' anything!

Gavin

Very nice set of Iraq medals I see you have a Kurdish Rebellion medal, which has become one of the more harder to find medals.

The Wisam al Rafidain Market in Iraq has gone up in value due to the large number of unknown buyers of the pieces and was willing to pay the prices in Baghdad when the Bazar Dealers run by AAFES told them it was a Saddam Medal.

This label is all over Iraq military items and brings in the buyers.

Najaf is another who is raising the prices purchase them for half of what they have them listed for then they sit on the site for years and years showing others a false value.

I think Order of the Two Rivers is one of the more beautiful Iraq Orders but for the price tag asked I have to pass on many of them.

I am still looking for my Civil First Class Sash and Breast Badge with original case to go with my Military First Class to complete the set for the Kingdom era.

There is one listed online for $5000 and one just sold on an online Auction for 1500 Euro!!

-Kingdom Era Wisam al Rafidain First Class Civil Order with Brest badge and case of issue~

So you never no matter what side of the world you live on we must make sure we don’t over pay.

Very nice collection Swoop. As Markus mentioned in the other thread, these do appear from time to time at auctions.

If you're not in a rush, auction season kicks off in March / April. I recall Lorenzo mentioning that prices for the Two Rivers were selling for astronomical prices in Baghdad ($10,000 for 1st Class sets which are selling for just over 1000 pounds / euros at auctions in Europe excluding 20-25% buyer's commission).

So you haven't really 'missed' anything!

Gavin

The Delaers in Iraq that sold in AAFES Bazzars like one in particular BIAP or FOB Liberty, were charged Taxes by AAFES to sell. This brought the market price up hundreds of dollars to pay the fees, as if more than what paying on eBay would cost to sell your pieces as an Iraqi Dealer.

Then the adding Saddam Hussein to the title of the Order for sale the Iraqi Dealers would draw in the contractors that were making big money looking to find an investment, decided to pay the prices and that is how these piece reached all time high.

I had one dealer in Iraq asking to purchase my First Class for $4500.00 I passed; cause like Ed Haynes says I could never sell my babies!!

"I had one dealer in Iraq asking to purchase my First Class for $4500.00 I passed; cause like Ed Haynes says I could never sell my babies!!"

I reckon that goes for most of us on GMIC, Lorenzo.

I, for one, intend to be entombed with my shiny baubles ... together with my concubines, eunuchs and hunting dogs ...

"I had one dealer in Iraq asking to purchase my First Class for $4500.00 I passed; cause like Ed Haynes says I could never sell my babies!!"

I reckon that goes for most of us on GMIC, Lorenzo.

I, for one, intend to be entombed with my shiny baubles ... together with my concubines, eunuchs and hunting dogs ...

Gavin,

You stick with the eunuchs, I prefer the concubines, and a good hunting dog is good for giving you energy.

Paul

• 2 months later...

I guess if you wait long enough one will eventually appear. I just picked this up recently. I should have bought one from the bazaar vendor near the BX on Liberty at BIAP but the this will do. Now if I can find a 1st Class i will consider my collection complete. $4500 is way too much, I feel. Is that the true market value on a 1st Class?

2012-03-31184321.jpg

Edited by Swoop737

What appears to be a gilt Kingdom type military badge on offer at eBay USA -- 220990921482. Vendor claims it's a commander but doesn't provide measurements; if image scale is inches, then maybe it's an officer grade.

Edited by 922F

There was a 1st Class Civilian and 1st Class Military, excellent condition in their original Garrard & Co cases, that were sold by Herman Historica in their December 2011 auction.

I can't recall the prices but believe they were around the 1500 Euro mark. Earlier sales by some of the London auction houses were also around the 1200-1500 pound mark I believe. So the 'true' market value is a lot less than what some dealers are trying to sell these at.

There was a 1st Class Civilian and 1st Class Military, excellent condition in their original Garrard & Co cases, that were sold by Herman Historica in their December 2011 auction.

You are really monitoring all of them mate ;)

Is that the true market value on a 1st Class?

Check this out Swoop

http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hhm63.pl?f=KAPITEL&c=ORDEN+IRAK&t=temgroup_su_GB&start=1&dif=20&db=kat62_su.txt

Regards,

Nick

• 1 month later...

if anyone is interested in a first class breast star, i found a listing on ebay france: http://cgi.ebay.fr/DEC1808-PLAQUE-1-CLASSE-ORDRE-DES-DEUX-RIVIERES-IRAQ-Wisam-Al-Rafidain-/390415354934?pt=FR_JG_Collections_Militaria_Medailles&hash=item5ae6918c36