News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Coast Guard- Falls under the KGB

Here is my newest addition. It is to a Seaman in the Soviet Coast Guard. This set comes complete with a Colani style pea jacket, navy white top, hooped shirt and hat.

Being a section of the Border Guard, the Soviet Coast Guard falls under the control of the KGB.

No! The CIA!

Seriously, we fall under the Department of the Homeland Security, along with the Border Guard, Immigration, the TSA, and others. We are the only non-Dept of Defense military branch of service.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of bezkozhirka caps with border tallies (one is green piped) and a jumper too of a diver with nice green border to the badge and a leningrad defence ribbon. I'll try and get pics on soon! I love the pea coat by the way, and want one!

I cannot wait to see what you have!! When we were working with the Russian Coast Guard last April, they had a few guys with that green hat.

The Jumper came complete with a Coast Guard ship badge too! It is beautifully enamaled. I will take a photo and post it here.

• 1 month later...

Paul,

in the history of the CCCP and Soviet fleet we had 2 (two) forms of coast guard:

a) Ordinary coast guard under the command of the Soviet Navy.

b) Special coast guard under the command of the KGB.

Usually these 2 coast guard units where located in the ident harbour.

If you look at my collection of all orders, medals, pins and documents from captain 1st rank Ivan KANDYBIN, who had been commander of the 111th OVR brigade, Baltic Fleet, you will find a typical example of a non-KGB coast guard unit.

Best regards

Christian

Paul,

in the history of the CCCP and Soviet fleet we had 2 (two) forms of coast guard:

a) Ordinary coast guard under the command of the Soviet Navy.

b) Special coast guard under the command of the KGB.

Usually these 2 coast guard units where located in the ident harbour.

If you look at my collection of all orders, medals, pins and documents from captain 1st rank Ivan KANDYBIN, who had been commander of the 111th OVR brigade, Baltic Fleet, you will find a typical example of a non-KGB coast guard unit.

Best regards

Christian

Not right.

The State sea border guard units never existed in Soviet Navy.

They always were part of GPU, NKVD, MVD or KGB.

Sea District guard units of the Soviet Navy had absolutely other tasks.

Paul,

sorry, I forgot to add the link to the Kandybin-thread:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/11948-captain-1st-rank-ivan-nikolaievich-kandybin/

On the 9th of Dec 2003 I had a 40 min. telephone talk with the german naval historian Kapitän zur See der Volksmarine i.R. Dr. habil. Horst Steigleder http://www.militär-verlag.de/autoren-7/autor/665-Horst_Steigleder.html about Soviet Coast Guard and about my Kandybin-group in special. Captain Steigleder explained to me, that Coast Guard in the Soviet Union had been operated by KGB naval border troops AND by the Soviet Fleet, with different tasks, of course:

KGB: The everyday business against smugglers, defectors etc.on sea.

OVR (Soviet Coast Guard brigades): Military tasks, as anit-submarine warfare etc., in respect to a prospective regional theatre of war.

Captain Steigleder explained to me, that OVR brigades, as the 111th OVR brigade of the Baltic Fleet, commanded by Captain 1st rank Ivan Kandybin, had been rather large mixed flotillas with ships up to the size of corvets, but without submarines. There had been own submarine brigades.

So the Soviet Coast Guard had 2 pure naval elements: KGB naval brigades and OVR Coast Guard brigades.

Best regards

Christian

Komandir RKKA,

sorry, you are wrong. If you don't believe me, then feel free to talk to the expert for Soviet naval affairs KzS Dr. Steigleder:

+49 38323 80545

He speaks German, but also fluent Russian, due to the fact, that studied at the Naval Academy in Leningrad.

Best regards

Christian