News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia Order of Nishan-i-limi ( Order of Arts & Science)

Markus

Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc. (Thank You James Hoard for this information!) According to an article written by Robert Macnamara in OMSA publication, This order had four classes, beginning with a copper medal, then an eight-pointed badge, in silver and in gilt, and a ten-pointed badge in gilt for first class. The upper classes in particular were more or less reserved for foreign professors, many from Vienna, who staffed the institution. Private collection.

Edited by Markus

Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc. (Thank You James Hoard for this information.) According to an article written by Robert Macnamara in OMSA publication, This order had four classes, beginning with a copper medal, then an eight-pointed badge, in silver and in gilt, and a ten-pointed badge in gilt for first class. The upper classes in particular were more or less reserved for foreign professors, many from Vienna, who staffed the institution. A grouping of various types. Private Collection.

Edited by Markus

Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc. (Thank You James Hoard for this information.) According to an article written by Robert Macnamara in OMSA publication, This order had four classes, beginning with a copper medal, then an eight-pointed badge, in silver and in gilt, and a ten-pointed badge in gilt for first class. The upper classes in particular were more or less reserved for foreign professors, many from Vienna, who staffed the institution. Spada Collection, exhibited in The Legion of Honor Museum Paris France.

Edited by Markus

Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc. (Thank You James Hoard for this information!) According to an article written by Robert Macnamara in OMSA publication, This order had four classes, beginning with a copper medal, then an eight-pointed badge, in silver and in gilt, and a ten-pointed badge in gilt for first class. The upper classes in particular were more or less reserved for foreign professors, many from Vienna, who staffed the institution. Another school was founded at the same time as the Polytechnic College of Tehran, The Dar al-Funun military academy. This medal with military style of Lion and Sun with sword could have been related to the military accademy. This medal was in it's original Halley Lasne box. Markus collection.

Edited by Markus

Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc. (Thank You James Hoard for this information!) According to an article written by Robert Macnamara in OMSA publication, This order had four classes, beginning with a copper medal, then an eight-pointed badge, in silver and in gilt, and a ten-pointed badge in gilt for first class. The upper classes in particular were more or less reserved for foreign professors, many from Vienna, who staffed the institution. Another school was founded at the same time as the Polytechnic College of Tehran, The Dar al-Funun military academy. This medal with military style of Lion and Sun with sword could have been related to the military accademy. Markus collection. Close up of the medallion.

Edited by Markus

Very nice Michael! Seems like the proper ribbon would be a red ribbon and along the way sometime a dealer replaced my example with a green ribbon. I like the officer ribbon on yours. Quite a nice medal bar.

Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc. (Thank You James Hoard for this information.) According to an article written by Robert Macnamara in OMSA publication, This order had four classes, beginning with a copper medal, then an eight-pointed badge, in silver and in gilt, and a ten-pointed badge in gilt for first class. The upper classes in particular were more or less reserved for foreign professors, many from Vienna, who staffed the institution. Spada Collection, exhibited in The Legion of Honor Museum Paris France.

I remember reading once that the Military War College in Tehran had a decoration for its students and professors, a military counterpart for the civil decoration at the Polytechnic. But I have never found any further information about it, what became of it or if it also eventually morphed into an official state decoration.

Perhaps this decoration with the standing lion holding sword is actually the War College decoration, rather than the Nishan-i-Ilmi.

Again, I think we can forget the green ribbon. More dealer's 'hocus-pocus'.

Cheers,

James

There is a small piece online that I was looking at can you share some information about it.

Order of Humayun

Arthus Bertrand, I wonder if the ribbon is correct?

There is a small piece online that I was looking at can you share some information about it.

Order of Humayun

Yep. You are right. This is Arthus Bertrand. After 1925 type of order and ribbon. Ribbon is correct one. I am planing to create a thread completely dovoted to these Bertrand lions ;)

Cheers,

Nick

Order of Humayun

Image of the reverse:

I see you are deadly serious about this "replacement hypothesis" James :)

It is perfectly obvious what happened here.

Like you, the dealer originally had no idea that this was a distinct decoration. He saw the lion and sun motif, assumed it was part of that order, so added a green ribbon.

Cheers,

James

It is perfectly obvious what happened here.

Like you, the dealer originally had no idea that this was a distinct decoration. He saw the lion and sun motif, assumed it was part of that order, so added a green ribbon.

Cheers,

James

Of course James, all these dealers - they all just like me... :lol:

And it is obvious of course.

24/7 they are busy with replacement process.

Everything that is not green was destroyed.

And this green ribbons ...

I guess there was some manufacturer to satisfy this dealer demand?

Cheers,

Nick