News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A six-place Schwarzburg Medal Bar and five-place Ribbon Bar Set

A six-place Schwarzburg Medal Bar and five-place Ribbon Bar Set

The discovery process and partial restoration of an amputated and improperly refitted medal bar.

The subject here is a ribbon bar and matching medal bar. Of note; two Schwarzburg award ribbons.

Medal Bar –(6) ribbons

EK2, (SKM), HK, Centennial, LS, (SKM)

Ribbon Bar –(5) ribbons

EK2, (SKMmS), LS, Centennial, (SKM)

Please notice the situation of the subject medal and ribbon bar when I originally purchased it.

The medal in the #2 position was missing.

The medal in the #4 position appears to hang too high.

The medal in the last position, #5 appears to hang too low.

These issues are, in of itself, not reasons to question the medals currently in place, however the medal bar incorporates a hook system underneath the ribbons to allow easy removal (i.e. plundering). In addition, unlike sewn on medals, the hooks also allow easy insertion from well-meaning, but perhaps ill-informed owners.

Because of this ease of replacing medals on the bar, ALL of the medals could be called into question. While the medals in the 1st, 3rd and 4th position don’t appear to have been tampered with, I believe it is important to examine their legitimacy as well.

Secondly, to the knowledgeable Imperial German medal bar collector, the presence of TWO Schwarzburg SKM ribbons is strange, both on the medal bar and ribbon bar.

Thirdly, both the medal bar and the ribbon bar have a combatant ribbon in a non-combatant award position. The ribbon bar has an added, confusing feature with a crossed swords device (the swords being a redundant addition on a combatant ribbon).

In summary, the missing award, the uneven presentation, the double Schwarzburg awards, redundant sword device and the odd ribbon positioning is enough for many novice collectors to dismiss this set as either an unorthodox, self-made piece or an outright manufactured fake.

I have undertaken a process of discovery and (partial) restoration of the medal bar and have displayed my argument points here for you. Again, because of the hook system, all of the medals could have been removed and improperly replaced with what is found here. At the risk of ignoring Occum’s Razor postulate, I have included, in my set of arguments, a challenge to all of the medals and the reasons behind their most likely candidates.

As a well known researcher once taught me when researching medal bars for names, it is important to note what is NOT present, as well as what is. His advice is important here as well and has aided me in discovery the likely medals that belonged on the medal bar.

I would like to thank those that have provided valuable insight and information into many of the arguments I present below. Their help was sorely needed and my appreciation for their unselfish and unreciprocated assistance extends beyond my printed words.

However my research thus far cannot conjure the name of the recipient for this medal bar & ribbon bar set.

This man in not likely to be found on any pre-war officer list, but I sincerely request any assistance anyone could provide me in making a short list of candidates.

The Argument Points:

a) First position: 1914 EK2 award vs. an 1871 EK2 award

-There is no Franco-Prussian War medal on the ribbon bar.

-On medal bar, the HK ribbon has a distinguishable “red” strip in center. The F-P ribbons have a more purple shade.

b) Last position award (on Medal bar and Ribbon bar) Schwarzburg Honor Medal-2nd Class Silver (SEM2) vs. Schwarzburg War Merit Medal (SKM)

-the ribbon is in a “non-combatant” position, on both ribbon bar and medal bar.

-only a few awards match this ribbon (the SKM, SEK, and SEM2).

-It is not the SKM non-combatant because the SKM has a non-combatant ribbon for the SKM medal.

-The SEM2 was awarded between 1857-1918 for; “reward for faithful services and acknowledgment of excellent achievements to lower rank officials and military personal as well as those without rank.”

(Additional background: On January 19th, 1915 this award was approved for a wartime distinction in the form of an added three oak leaf cluster. The leaves had “19” “14” and “15” embossed on it and was a special honor for providing special “war readiness services to Schwarzburg”.)

The subject medal bar would not likely have had the oak leaves because the device would have caused the medal to hang too low and would not line-up with the other medals.

c) Second position award: (on Medal bar and Ribbon bar) a Schwarzburg Honor Cross w/Swords (SEK#X) vs. Schwarzburg War Merit Medal (SKM)

-swords on the ribbon are not necessary (SKM is a combatant ribbon, the swords would be redundant)

-swords are at “high” angle, usually denoting an Order decoration.

d) Schwarzburg Honor Cross 4th Class w/Swords (SEK4X) vs. SEK3X, or SEK2X, or SEK1X

-The SEK4 is a NCO rank award. The SEK3, SEK2 and SEK1 are officer rank awards.

-The SEK3, SEK2 and SEK1 are usually found in the company of other officer awards. This medal bar/ribbon bar has a LS award and would expect other officer awards, like the KO4 and/or the RO.

e) Fourth Position: Centennial Medal vs. Schwarzburg Life Saving Award

-While the Schwarzburg Rettungmedal has the same yellow ribbon as the Centennial medal, the ribbon is slightly wider.

-The Schwarzburg Rettungs medal is a prestigious award and would be in front of the LS.

-The Schwarzburg Rettungs medal is a very rare medal.

f) Fifth position: DA 15 year vs. Landstrum LS (9yr)

-The 15 year Prussian DA is a NCO long service award.

-A recipient that earned the Centennial medal and an EK2 1914 on combatant ribbon would be expected to have a 15 year DA.

g) A Schwarzburg Long Service 9yr, 15yr, or 21yr Schnalle, (would not be mounted on ribbon/medal

bars) vs. Schwarzburg LS medal (missing from ribbon/medal bar)

-The Schwarzburg LS buckle or Schnalle was awarded up to 1913. A likely assumption is that the recipient earned the Schnalle in 1913 or earlier. The Schnalle would be pinned directly to the uniform and would not be a medal for the ribbon bar. (presumably the Schnalle was separated from the other medals)

-Recipient earned the Schwarzburg LS Schnalle, but didn’t trade it for the comparable LS medal in 1914 or thereafter.

h) A recipient from Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt vs. Schwarzburg-Sondershausen

-The lack of a Schwarzburg-Sondershausen Jubilee medal (1905)

(however, it is may have been possible that the recipient left the service in 1904, missing the Jubilee medal, and then returned to active duty in 1914 for wwi service. But this would suggest a ten year absence after an already long service –active at least since 1897 and a 15 year Prussian Long Service award -then returning for WWI and in an active unit in which he earns the SEK4X). Possible, but unlikely.

i) Last position: a SEM2 w/perpendicular öse variant vs. SEM2 w/parallel öse variant

-the current SEM2 used to restore the medal bar has a parallel öse. The subsequent hanging system causes the medal to hang too low compared to the other medals on the medalbar.

-the perpendicular öse variant medal would hang to the level of the other awards.

j) Second position: SEK4X vs. SKM

- An ascetic argument, while an unconvincing argument alone, the SKM hangs short from the hook.

The diameter of the SKM is 40mm, but with the öse and the ring above it is taller.

Outside measurement from the top of the suspension ring to the bottom of the SKM medal is 53mm.

Outside measurement from the top of the suspension ring to the bottom of the SEK4K cross is 61mm.

- The SEK4X will hang level with the other awards on the medal bar.

So, these are all the arguments. The next photo shows the restoration efforts up to this point.

A DA 15 year was purchased and attached.

A SEM2 was found, purchased and attached. Unfortunately, because of the loop system on the one I found, it hangs longer than it should. (I will still look for a medal with an öse and ring that is more suitable.)

Finally a SEK4X was to be purchased. It turns out that finding a SEK4X is even more difficult than finding the SEM2. They were lightly awarded and hard to find. It appeared that I would have little success in finding this cross and would have to be satisfied with a gap in the medal bar.

That is, until just recently…..

Here finally, at great expense, is the SEK4X.

This concludes my arguments for the restoration of this medal bar. Any errors or omissions are my responsibility and I welcome any corrections or clarifications to this analysis.

The arguments help outline a service record for the unknown recipient, but questions do remain. Among them;

1. Why didn’t the recipient swap his Schwarzburg LS Schnalle for the comparable LS medal in 1914 or thereafter?
    2. Just what did the recipient “do” to earn the pre-war Schwarzburg Ehrenmedalle (SEM2)? It is a non-combatant award, but I remain curious as to what “faithful service or acknowledgment of excellent achievements” he was recognized for. There is no suggestion of China or Afrika service that may have provided a venue for meritorious service.
    3. During WWI, what did he “do” to earn the SEK4X, and not just a SKM?
    4. Is there a list of SEK4X recipients?

Profile of suspected recipient:

1. The recipient likely has over 15 years of military service (and was a minimum of 38 years old in 1914)
    2. He was an NCO.
    3. Earned the Schwarzburg Ehrenmedalle -Silber (SEM2).
    4. From Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, and not likely from Schwarzburg-Sondershausen (due to the lack of the Schwarzburg-Sondershausen Jubilee medal).
    5. Possibly in the 3rd Battalion 7. Thüringischen IR Nr. 96.?

Could someone please help me with a list of possible candidates?

During WWI, what did he “do” to earn the SEK4X, and not just a SKM?

He likely wouldn't have "done" anything. It was rank-based. Almost every recipient of the SEK4X was a Feldwebelleutnant or Offizier-Stellvertreter, or a Navy equivalent.

For what it's worth, swords were often unofficially worn with the Silver Medal for Merit in War, possibly for a Frontkämpfer to distinguish his award from a rear echelon guy. For example:

For what it's worth, swords were often unofficially worn with the Silver Medal for Merit in War, possibly for a Frontkämpfer to distinguish his award from a rear echelon guy. For example:

Ahhh, yes. I should have addressed this earlier.

I am aware of ribbons bars that have swords attached to combatant ribbons. I have attached another example as well. As you can see, this ribbon bar is;

EK2, on combatant ribbon

SKM, on combatant ribbon with SWORDS

HK, with swords (to denote combatant)

I own and displayed this ribbon bar a number of years ago. At the time I ventured to guess that the Schwarzburg award was not a SKM, but the Schwarzburg order cross, (a SEK#X). Owing to the fact that the SKM combatant ribbon wouldn't need the swords to distinguish it as a combatant. In hindsight this is thin justification where there are no other clues to suggest a SEK and with other know examples (like Dave Danner's example) where swords are added by the owner -unnecessarily.

I keep seeing more examples of post-1934 ribbon bars that put sword attachments on combatant ribbons (even against the rules) to enforce the fact that they earned their award in front line service, not just "bureaucratic service". The Oldenburg Cross has a similar, post-WWI affectation with the "Vor Dem Feinde" bar.

Again, what distinguishes the crossed swords in the subject 6-medablbar/5-ribbon ribbon bar set is that this is a pre-1934 ribbon bar and

the high-angle swords are used.

As I summarized, I believe the set was owned by an older NCO that earned a pre-WWI service award from Schwarzburg and was subsequently awarded the SEK4X for WWI.

Does anyone have more information on SEK4Xs?

Numbers awarded?

What units earned them?

What years they were awarded (predominately early war or late wartime), or

other documents/photos of gents with this award.

The Schwarzburg rolls are being prepared for publication. I have to return to Germany soon to gather some missing information.

If you are correct about Rudolstadt, you have a very rare bar. There were only 33 awards of the SEK4X. Awards by year:

1915 - 15

1916 - 8

1917 - 4

1918 - 6

By rank:

Feldwebelleutnant - 16

Offizier-Stellvertreter - 11

Oberdeckoffizier - 3

other - 3 (1 Feldhilfsarzt, 1 Feldhilfsveterinär, 1 Feldmagazin-Inspektor)

They came from a large number of different units. Only 6 were in IR 96. Five were in 2. Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Gera XI/25. The other 22 were from 22 different units/commands.

The Schwarzburg rolls are being prepared for publication. I have to return to Germany soon to gather some missing information.

If you are correct about Rudolstadt, you have a very rare bar. There were only 33 awards of the SEK4X. Awards by year:

1915 - 15

1916 - 8

1917 - 4

1918 - 6

By rank:

Feldwebelleutnant - 16

Offizier-Stellvertreter - 11

Oberdeckoffizier - 3

other - 3 (1 Feldhilfsarzt, 1 Feldhilfsveterinär, 1 Feldmagazin-Inspektor)

They came from a large number of different units. Only 6 were in IR 96. Five were in 2. Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Gera XI/25. The other 22 were from 22 different units/commands.

wow. outstanding.

With the orange-felt backing I think we can safely eliminate the three Oberdeckoffiziers.

Dave: I shall look forward to you getting the information you need for the Schwarzburg rolls like children waiting for Christmas!

Congratulations on performing and documenting the restoration of this medal bar.

It would be very useful and informative if you could share the method of "Attaching" the various medals to the bar. There seem to be several schools of thought about this.

Some will lift up the ribbon and sew the loop to the backing. Of course this requires the removal of some of the original stitching and is frowned-upon by many.

Some will advocate only tucking the medal-loop under the ribbon and disturbing as little as possible.

Of course the ideal situation is having a bar with suspension hooks under the ribbons so you can hook the medal-loops right onto them.

Yes, there many schools of thought on it. I guess I would still have to look at each situation on a case-by-case basis when deciding HOW, or even IF a medal should be re-attached to a medal bar.

In this case, it was very easy. There are hooks underneath the ribbons that allow quick, but careful insertion of medals. In fact, it was those hooks that provided some ascetic evidence as to the correct medal that should be there. Something I wouldn't want to rely on alone, but nevertheless in this instance, provided a green light to the analysis.

• 2 months later...