News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pre-1994 , S.A.P. - Dog Handlers

Sometime last year I was talking to Craig on a post about dog handlers in South Africa. He is

a senior dog handler in the Metropolitan Police. The point was that I have a friend who was in the 2nd.

intake of Dogs , back in the 1970's - he was based in Durban. His wife acted as President of our Militaria

Society when I was in hospital.

I have had copies of his dog and service uniform for some time - However, now retired he still has a German

Shepherd - only it has been crossed with a wolf. Unfortunately, it is terrified of a camera - perhaps

something from it's puppy days - and hides. Anyway, I have a picture - so a glimpse into the past.

This is Constable Johny Aissing - wearing the SAP uniform of the 1970's. Note the revolver. I can't remember

the name of his dog - it was subsequently KIA and received a medal. They are sitting in the back of one of

the old vans - I think a Toyota - they were painted yellow, with blue lettering.

CLICK TO ENLARGE PICTURES

You have to love Senior officers when it comes to dogs! They think there rank makes the dog not want to bite them!

It reminds me

of a Senior officer who was seen leaving the kennel block with blood pouring from a wound on the hand. Eventually they admitted to putting there hand through the bars of a kennel in order to stroke the doggie!

Now a GSD crossed with a wolf that sounds alot of fun

Craig

• 1 month later...

This little article with the 50th Ann. of SA dog handlers , continues our earlier post on

the SA dog unit and also will help in the other post about earlier uniforms. The story is

self explanatory. Well done to them.

CLICK TO ENLARGE