News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russians and their Lions

JapanX

And another very interesting lion and sun order breast star. This one is in collection of local history museum in Ivanovo (russian town - about 300 km from Moscow). Most probably Russian work and I think these are the real rubies ;)

Glad you like it!

At first I didn`t even realise how many lions this millionaire had! :lol:

Regards,

Nick

The center lion enamel work is also very nicely done. Overall a perfect example of bling OLS. :jumping:

I am counting 6 on this picture. :o

Nick,

Love your threads! Thanks so much for sharing! Your contributions to getting the history of the Lion and Sun order have been invaluable. The portrait of Gadgy Zeinaladin Tagiev is a beauty. His status as a powerful industrial tycoon would explain all of his lion and sun medals. Thanks!

Markus

The center lion enamel work is also very nicely done. Overall a perfect example of bling OLS. :jumping:

I am counting 6 on this picture. :o

Five classes per customer - even for millionaires :lol:

On the left (from left to the right): 1st class lion and sun badge, breast star for 1st class of lion and sun, 3rd/2nd class of lion and sun, 2nd class of St. Stanislaus, civil division, non-christian.

On the right: medal bar (3rd class of St. Stanislaus, civil division, nob-christian, medal for zeal (Alexander II), medal in memory of reign of Alexander III, medal for coronation of Nicholas II, 4th and 5th classes of lion and sun. Under the 4th and 5th classes of lion and sin is a red cross badge 1877-1878. Stars (lower, from left to the right) lion and sun breast star for 2nd class, order of noble Bukhara breast star, 2nd class breast star for St. Stanislaus, civil division, non-christian.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick,

Love your threads! Thanks so much for sharing! Your contributions to getting the history of the Lion and Sun order have been invaluable. The portrait of Gadgy Zeinaladin Tagiev is a beauty. His status as a powerful industrial tycoon would explain all of his lion and sun medals. Thanks!

Markus

Hope to post some new interesting (hopefully) threads pretty soon ;)

Thanks,

Nick

Amazing photo of the guy!

It makes you yearn for more elegant times - when gentlemen were gentlemen, and you won't get beaten up walking down the street wearing a sash draped across your shoulder.

Cholera, open sewers and halitosis are just minor inconveniences for the chance of wearing all that bling ...

Edited by drclaw

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

And another thoroughbred russian.

Only this time it is a bling one ;)

Marked on reverse ПБ and Kokoshnik 84.

Judging by the second mark (Kokoshnik 84) this piece was manufactured somewhere between 1908 and 1917.

Edited by JapanX

• 1 month later...

And another photo of unknown Cossack captain (Markus showed to us trancated version of this photo in the other thread ;)).

This photo was made in Maikop in 1909.

Worshop of M.M. Ambrazevich.

• 1 month later...

Please welcome Wladimer Guedroitz, Counselor and Chamberlain during reign of Nicholas II

It is a good thing that Wladimer Guedroitz is so rotund, giving ample space to display that massive medal collection! It looks like there are two lion and suns stacked right on top of each other. Thanks for posting!

Markus

Oh my gosh, I counted AT LEAST 20 breast stars! I think it's gone beyond the ridiculous and having too much bling can be a bad thing.

The Brits with their single Grand Cross Order of the Bath strike an elegant figure in contrast.

Oh my gosh, I counted AT LEAST 20 breast stars!

My count is 21 :whistle:

I think it's gone beyond the ridiculous and having too much bling can be a bad thing.

So long Emperor Bokassa ... :lol:

Edited by JapanX