News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

bundeswehr collection

Guest talltom

Hello Tom!

I've seen beret badges for the black Panzertruppe beret with the muzzle of the gun barrel cut off (as in nothing protruding outside of the wreath), do you know why? I'm not sure if even all tankers, or units, do it. Is it some kind of "passed the test" thing, or what?

/Jonas

• Replies 76
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest talltom

Hello Tom!

I've seen beret badges for the black Panzertruppe beret with the muzzle of the gun barrel cut off (as in nothing protruding outside of the wreath), do you know why? I'm not sure if even all tankers, or units, do it. Is it some kind of "passed the test" thing, or what?

/Jonas

no idea sorry the tank muzzle is very thin metal so i would suppose its possible that it might break off if you can find a picture would be intersting to see

no idea sorry the tank muzzle is very thin metal so i would suppose its possible that it might break off if you can find a picture would be intersting to see

No Tom, I'm sure it was deliberately done, I got the impression that it was something to be somewhat proud of (and besides, if your badge would break, you'd just replace it, I guess).

/Jonas

Guest talltom

No Tom, I'm sure it was deliberately done, I got the impression that it was something to be somewhat proud of (and besides, if your badge would break, you'd just replace it, I guess).

/Jonas

the only other idea would be to shape the beret as the muzzle sticks out a bit if you look at the attached photo the germans all seem to shape their beret differently:

Guest talltom

found another photo (still missing a few) a early 1964 tunic similar to the feldjager only its got the harder to find piping around the collar this was taken off after only 1 year but i don't know why there doesn't seem to be any documented reason that i can find. this tunic is to a soldat (private) of the panzergrenadiers if anyone has a peaked cap with the green piping please get in touch as i only have the beret which is 91 dated

Guest talltom

There is a surplus store next to the base that has several BW tunics with all of the insignia(sewn on). If you would like, I can take some pics to see if there is something you like.

thanks paul check your email box :jumping: :rock on:

as to the panzer berets the order goes:

hard panzer beret (similar in design to the ww2)

soft beret (got 2 of them :jumping: )

black beret with tank badge (but without national flag)

black beret with tank badge (with national flag)

all 5 belonged to the same man who i brought it off a while back when he left the forces :jumping:

talltom,

Interesting collection of uniforms. Especially the panzer berets all to the same person. The beret was first authorized for wear on 18 September 1969 by Panzertruppe, Jaegertruppe, and Fallschirmjaeger. These early badges did not have the national colours on them and are hard to find. By the end of the 70s the beret was authorized for wear by all arms of the BW but all beret badges now had the national colours at the bottom. The soft early brown panzer beret comes in two slightly different variations. One with a brown leather band around the head opening and the other with a black leather band. The early brown berets for officers had silver wire embroidered cap badges. These berets are virtually impossible to find. I've only seen them in pictures. Glad to see someone post BW uniforms on the forum. Good luck in your future collecting.

Regards,

Gordon

Guest talltom

brilliant info Gordan ill have to look out for an officers grade beret never seen one

my 2 soft berets are dated 1960 and the other 1962

ive still yet to find a good early jagertruppe beret (without flag) very hard to find as well

Guest talltom

talltom,

Good luck in your search for an early jaegertruppe beret and badge. Luckily for me that was the first beret I bought. I didn't realize at the time that it was rare. Just dumb luck on my part.

Regards,

Gordon

very nice and lucky if you have the green piped schirmutze then your even luckier :jumping:

• 2 weeks later...

Laurence,

There is no Panzer artillery. Unfortunately, you have a beret with the wrong cap badge on it. Artillery would wear a red beret with their own cap bdge if they were assigned to a Panzer Division. They would wear the Panzer Divisions shield on their arm to indicate which division they were serving in.

Regards,

Gordon

Guest talltom

couple of new items for the growing collection (might need a new room at this rate :whistle: )

new jager uniform 1963 with the piping around the collar and a nice early 57er infantry award also came with a nice infantry cap (finally got one)

Guest talltom

and finally nothing special but nice all the same early 1965 dated luftwaffe unissued luftwaffe cap not as good condition as the other but a good 'un

Guest talltom

thanks paul usually the jackets go from £20 to £40 dependant on rank usually i got the panzer for £30 which is a decent deal

tom

Tom,

There is a problem with the medical officers uniform in post #18. He should not be wearing a BW Sanitätspersonal Tätigkeitsabzeichen with a U.S. Flight Surgeons wings. To wear U.S. Flight Surgeons wings you must be a qualified doctor and a flight surgeon. The rank and insignia on the shoulderboards would be correct for a doctor in the BW but he would then have to wear Fliegerarzt Tätigkeitsabzeichen above the right breast pocket of his tunic. Since the tunic shows a silver U.S. Flight Sugeons wings he would wear a silver Fliegerarzt Tätigkeitsabzeichen. I've attached a picture of the bronze, silver and gold BW Fliegerarzt Tätigkeitsabzeichen.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Hi Gordon,

the flight surgeon badges are always in silver. This is the (basic) surgeon badge.

Therefore he could have (and wear) the Bronze, the Silber or the Gold "Tätigkeitsabzeichen Fliegerarzt", based on his service time as a German flight surgeon (Fliegerarzt).

Bronze > staff officer flight surgeon, after completion of initial flight surgeon qualifications,

Silber > as above and 50 flight hours and 5 years of service as flight surgeon,

Gold > as above, but 75 flight hours and 10 years of service as flight surgeon.

Uwe

Uwe,

Thanks for the regs on the BW. I didn't know them until you posted them. Here are the U.S. regs for comparisons so Tom can work out which BW badge to add.

"The United States Army and United States Air Force issue the Flight Surgeon Badge in three ratings: Basic, Senior, and Master (Army)/Chief (Air Force). The Basic Flight Surgeon Badge is presented upon completion of initial flight surgeon qualifications, while the Senior and Master versions of the badge are presented based on years of service and number of flight hours performed as a flight surgeon. Typically, the Senior Flight Surgeon Badge is awarded after three to seven years of service, while the Master version is obtained after seven to fifteen years of service. The Senior version of the Flight Surgeon badge is denoted by a star centered above the decoration, while the Master and Chief Flight Surgeon badges display a star and wreath".

Given the two sets of regulations, and considering that the U.S. Flight Surgeon badge appears to be the basic one he could wear either the bronze or the silver BW badge. Considering the rank on the BW tunic I would say the silver badge would be the most appropriate but that is up to Tom. Thanks very much for your input.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Guest talltom

fantastic information Gordan and Uwe you guys sure have a wealth of knowledge i shall be on the look out for one now

thanks tom

• 2 weeks later...