News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KING EDWARD VIII COINS / MEDALLIONS

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen.....

Just picked up these today and thought you might like to see them.....

There were very few coins issued for King Edward VIII and no medals......

Both are silver, the one on the left is Australian but I do not know what denomination it would have been, the one on the right is the design of the Canadian Silver Dollar but without the word Dollar.....

Were these test strikings??????

What do you think.......

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen.....

Just picked up these today and thought you might like to see them.....

There were very few coins issued for King Edward VIII and no medals......

Both are silver, the one on the left is Australian but I do not know what denomination it would have been, the one on the right is the design of the Canadian Silver Dollar but without the word Dollar.....

Were these test strikings??????

What do you think.......

Mike

Mike,

These are all recent productions commissioned by a British dealer in 1999 and struck in 2000-2001. A whole group of these issue were included in a Spink auction no 1298 11 July 2001. It was titled the 'Patina' collection.

Great fun providing you didn't pay a huge amount for them but totally unofficial.

Paul

These are quite interesting and the first I've seen. I'm glad Paul was able to respond with his information before I logged on today as now we have that information and I'm not left wondering all day as to their history.

I think these are examples of "what might have been".

There are the white metal coronation medals that were given out to the public and the only one I attempted to purchase was "lost" in the mail.

Thanks for posting these, they are great to see.

Regards

Brian

I was wondering how they could reproduce legal tender - which it would be with the Monarch's Head. However,

after Brian's comment that they were intended as medallion giveaways - I saw that no face value is shown.

Anything with Edward's 8th. face on it seems to fetch a good price - except these ?

I was wondering how they could reproduce legal tender - which it would be with the Monarch's Head. However,

after Brian's comment that they were intended as medallion giveaways - I saw that no face value is shown.

Anything with Edward's 8th. face on it seems to fetch a good price - except these ?

Mervyn,

Producing fantasy coins with Edward VIIIs head on it has been a long established business in the numismatic trade. The first was the London dealer Geoffrey Hearn who produced a series of fantasy commonwealth crowns in 1954. Then the London dealer Richard Lobel continued and expanded the trend in the 1980s and lastly the Patina collection produced around 2000. Original patterns and trial coins bearing the portrait of Edward VIIII issued dated 1937 are very sought after. One interesting story is the Edward VIII 12 sided 3pence, many of these were sent to vending machine companies in order to adapt their machinery, while they were supposed to be returned a very small number escaped and a few turned up in circulation. As a boy we all looked through our threepenny bits in the misguided hope of finding such a coin. One of these is worth many thousands of pounds. It is possible to get coins from British East and West Africa, Fiji and Papua New Guinea all bearing the name of Edward VIII but without his portrait and dated 1936.These are all reasonably common and can be purchased for no more than a few pounds, not bad for a genuine coin of Edward VIII. On a medallic note two Royal Victorian Medals were presented bearing the portrait of Edward VIII. One in a group was sold in the Spink sale of the Giordano sale in 2010 to Horace Crisp, the group realised £8,200

Paul

Thanks Paul......

Great explanation......

Did not think that there were any medals, learn something new every day......

Mike

On the medallic front there were gold medals issued as prizes for a) the Royal Military Academy Woolwich, b) Royal Military Academy Sandhurst © Royal Naval College Dartmouth. A friend of mine has gold Dartmouth medal with an unnamed D.S.C. to the recipient.

All the best,

Paul

• 5 months later...

Mervyn,

Producing fantasy coins with Edward VIIIs head on it has been a long established business in the numismatic trade. The first was the London dealer Geoffrey Hearn who produced a series of fantasy commonwealth crowns in 1954. Then the London dealer Richard Lobel continued and expanded the trend in the 1980s and lastly the Patina collection produced around 2000. Original patterns and trial coins bearing the portrait of Edward VIIII issued dated 1937 are very sought after. One interesting story is the Edward VIII 12 sided 3pence, many of these were sent to vending machine companies in order to adapt their machinery, while they were supposed to be returned a very small number escaped and a few turned up in circulation. As a boy we all looked through our threepenny bits in the misguided hope of finding such a coin. One of these is worth many thousands of pounds. It is possible to get coins from British East and West Africa, Fiji and Papua New Guinea all bearing the name of Edward VIII but without his portrait and dated 1936.These are all reasonably common and can be purchased for no more than a few pounds, not bad for a genuine coin of Edward VIII. On a medallic note two Royal Victorian Medals were presented bearing the portrait of Edward VIII. One in a group was sold in the Spink sale of the Giordano sale in 2010 to Horace Crisp, the group realised £8,200

Paul

I like the stories about Edward VIII coins almost as much as the 1933 penny. All but one are accounted for. It was placed under a church in Leeds and has since gone missing / stolen when the building was knocked down

• 5 months later...
    • 5 months later...