News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Warlord period decorations: some trivial observations of their confusing similarity

JapanX

I contacted Galerie Numismatique who were not able to provide any documentary evidence to support their assertion that it was indeed awarded to a French Air Force officer.

I guess it came from word of mouth then...do they even have his name?

I have seen the lower class medal once on ebay. I can't remember at what price it ended at.

It was a pretty battered one on Ebay and recall it went for around $200-$300. Galerie Numismatique sold a lower class badge a year or two ago for around 500 euros I believe.

Interesting piece but for an unofficial / ephemeral decoration with no identification other than the temple name, the prices seem a little high.

They're not too rare either given the number of examples that have appeared on the market.

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning Nick.

You have really hit an area of contention. I agree with you that this medal is the medal for Military Merit. 58 x 54 mm with pavlonia leaf suspension. Harry Mohler also wrote of this order and in earlier writings suggested that "this award was made in accordance with the recipients former precedence in rank within the Manchu Court." It was a short-lived order and little is known concerning the decoration itself. It was founded in 1912 by Presient Yuan Shikai and this insignia of rank was worn above all other awards and took precedence over all other decorations (?).This order was established in six classes. The Grand Cross Order was intended only for presidents and former presidents. It was also awarded to military leaders who had actively participated in the rebellion. I believe the ribbon (37mm) to be correct. I have much more to say about this decoration.

Richard

Good evening (even night :)) Richard!

Thank you for your comment!

But I am a little mixed..

I agree with you that this medal is the medal for Military Merit. 58 x 54 mm with pavlonia leaf suspension. Harry Mohler also wrote of this order and in earlier writings suggested that "this award was made in accordance with the recipients former precedence in rank within the Manchu Court."

About what order (from what post) we are talking about?

And I am sorry, but the Spink picture is not visible ...

Regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

I agree with you that this medal is the medal for Military Merit. 58 x 54 mm with pavlonia leaf suspension. Harry Mohler also wrote of this order and in earlier writings suggested that "this award was made in accordance with the recipients former precedence in rank within the Manchu Court." It was a short-lived order and little is known concerning the decoration itself.

How about this?

Cool!

Looks like Order of Rank and Merit 2nd class (also known as "First Order of Rank and Merit")...

Must be approximately 68mm in diameter ;)

It is indeed was founded on October 9, 1912 by Presient Yuan Shikai in 6 classes for Chinese Citizens (only after 1916 (when order changed his name to "Order of Merit" higher class became available to foreign Head of States).

It was second highest order of the Republic (after 1st class (also known as Grand Order of Rank and Merit) - looks exactly the same, but has 13 pearls).

But I was under the impression that all 6 classes existed as breast stars...

I am afraid that Medal (?) from post # 59 (actually the whole family of such Medals) is completely different award.

Indeed it is usually described as "Medal for Military Merit"...

By the way, the manufacturer (one of many manufacturers?) of these medals was Lao Tien Li - his mark sometimes could be found on reverse along with the date (one specimen that looks exactly like piece from post #59 had a date July 1923 (sic!))

Regards,

Nick

P.S. I believe that many of these beautiful breast stars of Rank and Merit Order might be manufactured by Japanese workshops (including your beauty ;))

Good Morning Nick.

You have really hit an area of contention. I agree with you that this medal is the medal for Military Merit. 58 x 54 mm with pavlonia leaf suspension. Harry Mohler also wrote of this order and in earlier writings suggested that "this award was made in accordance with the recipients former precedence in rank within the Manchu Court." It was a short-lived order and little is known concerning the decoration itself. It was founded in 1912 by Presient Yuan Shikai and this insignia of rank was worn above all other awards and took precedence over all other decorations (?).This order was established in six classes. The Grand Cross Order was intended only for presidents and former presidents. It was also awarded to military leaders who had actively participated in the rebellion. I believe the ribbon (37mm) to be correct. I have much more to say about this decoration.

Richard

Richard I created a separate thread devoted to this medal ;)

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/54262-merit-medal-of-the-republic-its-origin-and-classes/page__gopid__497158

Cheers,

Nick

And back to the copycat practice.

Strange specimen...

Looks like it lost his original medallion (most likely Variation A of Merit Medal) and somebody replaced it with order of striped tiger medallion!!!

So it is more likely modern "construction" practice ;)

Edited by JapanX

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Ah, our old friend, the "Order" of the Temple of the Azure Clouds.

They must have distributed a fair few of these given the number of surviving examples.