News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need help with Police Officer Breaststar

JT1959

Gentlemen, please help me with this one.

I collect mainly awards from WWII, but this one I know nothing about and I would like some info.

How old can it be, and it is rare? It is marked with Pat. 2383012 on the back

Or in the worst case, is it just a copy?

Regards from Norway

JT

JT - I agree with Adrob - it does look a bit 'tinny' and not quite right. However, having said that it bears

a number and is probably more then a toy. I seem to remember, some time ago - that US Forces in Europe

had a type of badge for Police Duties. Also, this is stamped in English. Do you think it could have had anything to

do with WW2 ? Mervyn

The star is heavy and the metal is thick (it only looks thin from the picture, but it is due to striking of the text). I have no idea of ​​age. The star came from a collection of police brands sold by an American police officer to a Swede once in the 70's.

Is it possible to trace the Pat.number ?

Regards

JT

It is a United States Patent: 2383012

Issue date: August 21, 1945

Current U.S.Class: 24/708

Current International Class: A44B 9/18 (20060101); A44B 9/00 (20060101)

This is the info I find on the Patent Database, but no photo or clue what it is.

Regards

JT

JT - that is a puzzle - why would anyone want to patent a basic star with the wording this one has ? I'm

sure that all of the papers could be looked up - would probably need expert help. Perhaps the patent is for the

metal ? Can't - surely - be for the pin ?

Thank you all for helping me :)

Perhaps you gave a good tip there Mervyn..... The pin

The disign of the needlehook is of the modern type, but still more powerful and solid than those found on new badges. Possibly this was a new design in 1946 and therefore paternted ?

I dont know................

I think it's a US Police Department generic badge. The constables' # was 22. It could be anybodys' badge- from PC Smith of Alligator, Texas to Trooper Rechaumbaud of the Portland, Maine PD. Definitively US though- and similar badges are still issued by some towns and cities. Most today however, prefer the "fancy bling".

these are also heavily faked I might add. Have a look on eBay Europe. They are illegal (purportedly) to sell here in the USA.

JT - the pin is a dead giveaway as a fake. Badges of the period from when the simple "pie plate" style star shaped badges were used, almost invariably use the saddle type catch for the pin. And also, the pin and catch would be welded directly to the badge. Maybe the pin is a replacement, but it does not appear authentic...