News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Northern Rhodesia Police

This is a rare badge these days. Northern Rhodesia had only some 200 European Officers

and , I believe, about 8oo Black Constables. I am open to correction on this last total.

The Territory became Zambia and was lightly populated - although of great size.

They wore a similar uniform to the BSAP - cap with band - for which this is the badge , shorts and

shirts and long socks. Plus of course a ceremonial uniform.

Should any member have photos to enlarge this post they will be appreciated.

CLICK PHOTO TO ENLARGE

Rather rare due to it's short life,rather than the numbers issued.

This QE2 Badge was only worn from 1953 until Independance in November 1964,only 11 years and only by members of the NRP Rank and File and the Inspectorate.

The NRP Reserve had a similar badge with an R inserted above the Fish Eagle's head.

.At it's height the NRP numbered some 600 officers (irreverently known as Superior,Senior and Subordinate Officers (ACPs and above,Superintendants of all grades and Inspectors ditto,plus almost 5000 Rank and File (Junior Officers )

All explained,with badges of rank ( which are regretably described rather than illustrated),in The History of The Northern Rhodesia Police by Tim Wright

ISBN 0 9530174 4 3 pub. by British Empire and Commonwealth Museum Press 2001.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Slightly off topic but I am looking for information (websites etc) on the northern rhodesia policeforce in the early 1960's. My father (George Bermingham, now deceased) was a policeman at this time.

Thanks

Emma

Emma

The best reference is ' The History of The Northern Rhodesia Police ' by Tim Wright BECM Press 2001 ISBN 0-9530174-4-3 which can be obtained,if not in a major library,through the major Internet Book providers.You will find many other references through Google..

As regards your father,I have sent you a P.M.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Hi there, a little off topic but would anyone know how I might track down a police service record for my father, David Appleton, who served in the Northern Rhodesian police force in the late 1950s?

Grant -

Service records ( personnel files) would have been retained in Police Headquarters,Lusaka for some years following an officer's departure from the Force.Thereafter the files would be subject to weeding and only the barest essentials retained.I do not know when your father left the Force but I have grave doubts that any tangible records would now remain;passage of time,new government and etc.

The best I can do is thus - David Appleton b 3.6.1930 Police Constable Metropolitan Police 1950 Assistant Inspector Northern Rhodesia Police 29.5.1952 Detective Inspector 29.5.1955. In January 1958 he was stationed at Mazabuka,in the Southern Province of Northern Rhodesia.

Hi,

Well a little outside the post about badges, but I do still have these items left. There was a sun helmet, but I passed it on. There are a few more badges, but I guess they are packed away at present. This came as a group, so I don't know if there are any issues with the tunics. There is also a Northern Rhodesian Mess Jacket even if there were police links in the past, I didn't include it. Sorry the light was bad and they turned out poorly, but the weather isn't too good now.

Robert

Edited by Robert L.

A few anomalies here;-

White metal cap badge appears to have the R above the fish eagle,therefore the badge of the NRP Reserve.

The badge on the cap bears the blue enamelling within the scroll,therefore a badge issued to Gazetted Officers ( Assistant Superintendents up to Senior Superintendents).The cap itself bears the two silver buttons retaining the patent leather chinstrap but the peak itself has none of the silver braid which would adorn a Gazetted Officer's cap..

The khaki tunic (although a little off-colour for summer service dress) should carry a black whistle lanyard and whistle on the left ( as worn) shoulder.The ribbon bar displays,from left as viewed, the ribbon of the Colonial Police Meritorious Medal,the Colonial Police Long Service Medal and the ribbon of the Colonial Police Special Constabulary Long Service Medal.Recipient would have to do 18 years in the regulars and presumably a further 9 yrs or more in the Specials.I have never come across this combination of awards before.

Tunic appears to have red backing to rank stars.Another new one.Insignia backing for all ranks was black felt,salvaged from discarded R and and File Fezzes !

Winter ( blue) tunic - has NRP regular collars,eagles should be inward facing.Again,a red backing to insignia on epaulettes.

Any Name inside the cap,tunics ?

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I purchased these several years ago from a younger man in the UK. He claimed to know nothing about their history, There are no names. Included were several sets of insignia both reserve and regular included in the box.

It is very possible that someone replaced the hat badge with a different one, I'll just put the proper hat badge on. The sun helmet had an enameled one on it also.

The Khaki uniform is lighter than it shows in the photo. I'll put up better ones when the weather clears. I don't know what to say about the colored underlay. It is a very thick cloth felt and has been on there for sometime. On both uniforms the bird's beaks face inward. The ribbon bars are sewn on and it is very possible that someone put them on both tunics. There was no lanyard included.

I know more about BSAP uniforms, but I do have the main book on the NRP but the photos aren't much help.

Happy Holidays

Robert

• 2 years later...

Just found this photo of my Dad - Barry Paget - in the Northern Rhodesian Police Reserve Wings Parade- Lusaka 1960 - he is the one nearest this end. The other men are  Jack Uys, Bennett, Jay, Bill Colton, Norman Lowe, Roberts and Rust - apparently!

NRPR Wings Parade - Lusaka 1960 - Jack Uys, Bennett, Jay, Bill Colton, Norman Lowe, Roberts, Rust.jpg

Edited by Mike Paget