News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

UNKNOWN MEDAL FROM VIETNAM, MILITARY ? FRENCH MADE ?

WRANGEL

Good evening gentlemen,

Can anyone help me identify this vietnamese medal ? It looks like it is some kind of military award. I believe it is French made, although there are no maker's mark. Any idea of what the ribbon looks like ?

Cheers.

Bill

Hi Bill,

According to my copy of "The Decorations and Medals of the Republic of Vietnam and Her Allies, 1950-1975" by John Sylvester and Col Frank Foster, this is the Hamlet Common Defence Medal which was authorized in 1963 for services in connection with the First Republic's National Revolution Program. The ribbon is green 4mm, red 1mm, green 3 1/2mm, brown 3 1/2mm, red 1mm, brown 2 1/2mm, red 1mm, brown 3 1/2mm, green 3 1/2mm, red 1mm, green 4mm.

The above reference also states that no official documentation has been seen for it, but it appears an authorized award that became obsolete with the fall of Diem and the end of the strategic hamlet program. No ribbon bar or miniature of this medal have been seen.

As for rarity, it is rated a 9 with 10 being the rarest, so looks like you've a good find.

Jean-Paul

Hello JPL,

Many thanks for the identification. I definitively need to buy Sylvester book. Yes I thought it was rather uncommon when came across this badge but had no idea of what it was exactly (besides the fact it came from Indochina-Vietnam). Seems like I will have a hard time finding the ribbon.

Cheers

Bill

The Sylvester/Foster book (p. 61) identifies this as the Hamlet Common Defense Medal (Boi-Tinh Toan-Dan Bao-Ve Non-Song, authorized in 1963. They translate the inscription as Personalism, Community, Progress. The ribbon is gren 4mm, red 1 mm, green 3-1/2mm, brown 3-1/2 mm, red 1mm, brown 2-1/2mm, red 1 mm, brown 3 1/2 mm, green 3-1/2 mm, red 1 mm, green 4 mm. They assume that it became obsolete with the fall of Diem and the end of the strategic hamlet program. Rarity - R-9 (The scale runs from 1 - 10, with R-10 being the rarest.)

It's a nice looking piece.

Hugh

• 10 months later...