Gentleman's Military Interest Club
JPL

Col John McCrae's medals to remain in Guelph

Another interesting news story regarding the legal battle regarding the medals of Col John McCrae author of In Flanders Field:

A dispute over the ownership of Col. John McCrae has been resolved. It will see the medals remain on permanent display at the Guelph museum located at the famous soldier-poet's former home. Read the complete article: http://www.guelphmercury.com/opinion/columns/article/668830--questions-remain-in-legal-effort-to-keep-mccrae-medals-in-guelph

Jean-Paul

I think the family are a bunch of Sour Pusses...

There used to be a fine story to these medals... Chinese Immigrant makes good and donates half a million to keep Canadian Medals in Canada....

Now there is a simple Dallas/Dynasty story, embittered family wants credit for donating medals that someone else payed for.

I think Colonel McCrae would be ashamed by the behaviour of his descendents.

Brett

You are born with your relatives - but, you make your own friends !

Thankyou for posting this Jean-Paul - an interesting story. Mervyn

The all mighty $ strikes again... :angry:

It makes it official though, honour is an acquired trait, it isn't passed on through one's genes.

Posted · Hidden by peter monahan, February 21, 2012 -
Hidden by peter monahan, February 21, 2012 -

I am glad that they are out there for the public to see. Also a big BZ to Mr Lee.

Hear, hear! I'm betting someone in the family sold them off in the first place 'causer he wanted beer money. After that, IMHO, you're done! I worked [very briefly] in a militaria shop and a lot of our stuff came directly from families of the men who wore / carried / earned the stuff. I'm sorry your Uncle Bert was a w***er and sold Grandad's medals, but that doesn't mean you're intitled to the stuff back gratis!