News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 81
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay-

How about giving Mike $20K for his goblet then?

I don't understand the discussion about the money. I thought you are interested on informations about this goblet but all you want is to know how much it worth.

All about the price is already told. This is a unique piece and costs what ever a buyer is ready to pay.

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Okay-

How about giving Mike $20K for his goblet then?

As has been stated it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If it has been buffed out the price would be less than what I stated, never the less it would be worth more than $15K, IMO. Is $20K a good offer, perhaps. I believe a European auction would be the best venue to see what this is worth.

Gary B

Edited by Gary B

• 5 months later...

Good lord, I'm sorry I missed this wild and woolly discussion. Or maybe not! Either way, a piece of this rarity should be carefully studied by German experts who, as Alex points out, have handled Tors or even have a few kicking around for closer comparison. Also a real definitive study of that cartouche is in order. The numbers quoted seem to be in the realm of quick cash for open questions and the real value at a German auction magnitudes higher once these questions are resolved in an unhurried and systematic fashion.

• 1 year later...

Today no further details can be determined as a result of the loss of documents in the Heeresarchivs during the air raids on Potsdam in early 1945. We do not even know approximately the amount of award pay, or anything at all of the origins or the designer. One could have regarded the topic as closed, were it not for the fact that a few years ago the possession of a modified example become known. Before that, despite the greatest efforts no second type was known to exist, and this example was completely unknown even by experts on the subject. This cup resembles the Flier-Cups with the following deviations in size and form:

20b9c2b1.jpg

An octagon with narrow raised edge shows the god Thor dressed in skins and striding out of a storm with blowing hair and arm raised with a hammer in his fist. In the background are the outlines of clouds from which lightning flashes downwards. To the left of the figure can be seen the name of the god Tor. Between his legs is the signature of an unknown artist EB. The octagon is not exactly in the center but sits more to the upper left than right. The whole scene shows the characteristics of a carefully composed, unique work. Where on the Fliers? counterpart cup the band of writing is situated, a shield, pointed at both ends, with a raised narrow edge, bears a two-line engraved inscription D?NABURG 4.2.1916. The remaining surface is animated by oakleaves which run around both sides and meet in back. On the band is positioned the previously mentioned punch marks.

bb4e0eb3.jpg

One can only regret the loss of the relevant documents underpinning this award taken from the quarters of the original holder as American war booty. The original bestowal document and much pictorial material was removed. However the award and the transmittal document remain. From other remaining documents and period records the personal history and military service of the recipient can be reconstructed.

It is interesting that during the raid over Dünaburg on 4th februar 1916 Hptm Erich Linnarz was still the regular commander of LZ 86, before he took over the command of LZ 97 late februar 16, but he was not on bord during this flight.

The airship was led by the 1st officer Hptm Walter Wolff, who later took over the command of LZ 86 after Linnarz.

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

• 7 months later...