News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great War Gas Helmets and Goggles

Thought some may like these---Here are some examples of Hypo, P and Ph helmets.

The hypo (May 1915) was single layer of flannel with the eye piece of the same material that Film stock is made out of. (the very first helmets had mica windows but these were not too good).

scan0eh.jpg

The last batch of Hypo helmets (July 1915) used the screw-on glass eye pieces that would be standard on P and Ph helmets. The Flannel was still single layer.

scan00140er.jpg

Both of the above helmets belonged/were issued to A/Sjt B Coates of the RE special Bde.

The carriers are original ("Cases, Helmet Flannel" as approved on 10 June 15 to the helmets. A very similar bag was issuued for the black vieling resipirator.

scan00156nf.jpg

photo10resized.jpg

The P helmet (Aug 1915) was made of two layers of flannelette (cotton) with an added mouth piece (rare surviving rubber mouth piece). The inner layer of flannel is usually, not always, striped pajama flannel.

scan00136cf.jpg

PH helmet (Jan 1916) is almost identical to P helmet. This example has an elongated portion of flannellette commonly found on PH helmets. This example has inner flannelette in pajama material and also the back panel.

In 1915 the material for helmets was changed to flannelette and not flannel.

photo25resized.jpg

This is a complete Helmet set with Inner bag and satchel. The satchel was introduced in August 1915 with the P Helmet. This variety is a single bag--sometimes known as the "old" Pattern. In around May/June 1916 and new pattern satchel was introduced with two pockets--one for the helmet and one for gas goggles. I have a later version and will post photos when I have a chance.

There was also a Gas helmet with integral Gas Goggles known as the PHG which was manufactured in very low numbers for Artillery crews and Machine-gunners etc.

Two ytypes of gas goggeles were introduced in Aug 1915 and both were made by J Spicer, Both were manufactured into 1917 in about 3 million per type Both were made concurrently.

photo30resized.jpg

Known as Spicer Goggles or "French" type and issued with Gas Helmets and SBRs.

photo32resized.jpg

Rubber Sponge Goggles---These were made with the same eye pieces as the P/PH Helmets--in this case reveresed but can be found either way. They either tied or had an elastic band. The tie versions seem to be associated with goggles issued with the Large Box Respirator.

Hope This is of interest

Joe Sweeney

Joe - a rare subject and very well covered. This is the type of explanatory article that is so important to

help future collectors and researchers.

Do you have any further ones you could show - or, further research material. If we can get enough interest

Brian and I will be very pleased to consider this for an award certificate. Mervyn

• 1 year later...

Latest addition to the collection is an example of the PHG Helmet---1.7Million wee produced in the first half of 1916 and then withdrawn when the SBRs came out. These were specifically designed for the artillery. This type provide protection against tearing agents that the normal PH helmet would not.

a1jo.jpg

ikrl.png

Hope this is of interest

Joe Sweeney

Joe - a very good addition to your original post. There must be a great deal of additional material available on

gas protection - goggles , gas masks, capes - and of course, these head covers.

I feel that this is a neglected subject - particularly in view of the high number of casualties from gas attacks.

WITH THE ANNIVERSARY OF WW1 - DO ANY OTHER OF OUR MEMBERS HAVE ANYTHING TO ADD ?

Only that the whole thought of having to depend on those to protect me from gas scares the willies out of me! I've worn the 'small box respirator' - a reproduction - for brief periods on a smoke filled mock battlefield and its almost impossible to do anything useful with it on because you really can't see!

And the official instructions for the PH hoods if you were sweating was 'rub the hood against your forehead with your free hand' and carry on! Yikes! I suppose the only thing worse would be what happened to you in a gas attack without one!

• 1 year later...

Hello, I am new to the forum.

I would like to share a few other rare examples of Great War Gas Equipment from my collection in the interest of increasing awareness and appreciation for what the soldiers of the Great War had to endure......

301.JPG

Hi Chris,

I wish I could post a few more masks, but the system says I can't upload anymore.  :( 

I am very interested in WWI in general, but do have a special interest in the aspects of Chemical warfare during the period.  How about yourself?

Hi Z,

Yup, I have a little "Thing" for Gas, but also WW1 in General.

Here are a couple of nice things to the German Gas regiment...

I also have a sideline connection of gas masks.

There is by the way, somewhere online, studies made by the US Army in the 1950s on Gas attacks in WW1... really interesting stuff!

That is an incredible piece.....   from the first gas attack!  Wow! 

I just recently purchased a first edition of The riddle of the Rhine from 1923 which is a study of Gas Warfare as well....  I will also look for the study you mention on line.  

303.JPG

A few more of my masks...... British PH Hood, and French Tampon TN..

302.JPG

• 9 months later...