News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have acquired a medal group that includes a World War I trio named to a soldier in the Rand Rifles. I have discovered by consulting Chris' "imperial-research.net/gswa" site that the Rand Rifles were part of "Military District No. 8" and took part in both the Rebellion and the GSWA campaign.

The only book I have that deals with this period does not mention the Rand Rifles and I would be grateful for any information about this apparently short-lived regiment.

Brett

Brett, a few fragments :

* Formed as a temporary Active Citizen Force unit w.e.f. 4 December 1914.

* Disbanded 31 December 1919.

* Postumously awarded the battle honour 'South West Africa 1914-15' in 1926/27.

Maj (later Lt Col) Frederic Creswell was second-in-command. He was the leader of the Labour Party, and later defence minister 1924-33.

I have an idea the unit was recruited from the goldmines (in which case, some of the veterans may have been involved in the Rand Revolt in 1922).

I have a recipient who was a student at the South African School of Mines and Technology in Johannesburg.

He attested in the Rand Rifles on 9 November 1914, as Private no. 974, and was taken on pay strength on 10 November 1914 - note the dates (cf. Arthur's post above).

He is believed to have served in operations against rebels in the northern Orange Free State, between Kroonstad and Ventersburg Road.

I do know that the Rand Rifles sailed from Cape Town aboard the Galway Castle in December 1914, landing unopposed in Walvis Bay on Christmas Day, 25 December 1914.

Regards

William

William

Every little bit helps and I am grateful to you for adding to the picture of the Rand Rifles. I am looking forward to the medals arriving in their new home, after which I will ask for papers to be copied.

Regards

Brett

I do know that the Rand Rifles sailed from Cape Town aboard the Galway Castle in December 1914, landing unopposed in Walvis Bay on Christmas Day, 25 December 1914.

Which reminds me that there is (or was) a railway siding named 'Rand Rifles' near Walvis Bay. That suggests that the RR's first task was guarding the railway line which was being built from Walvis Bay itself, through the SA enclave, to Swakopmund. The Dukes were also stationed at Walvis Bay, early in 1915, and the section which they guarded was named 'Gregory Siding' after their OC.

Arthur

I have done an Internet check and Rand Rifles, the place between Walvis Bay and Swakopmund, still exists and seems to be a holiday resort of some significance. Even an assemblage of available young ladies is advertised. They would no doubt have been much appreciated had they been available in 1915. While the regiment has long since ceased to exist, its lives on in Namibia as an unusual place name.

Regards

Brett

He attested in the Rand Rifles on 9 November 1914, as Private no. 974, and was taken on pay strength on 10 November 1914 - note the dates (cf. Arthur's post above).

Interesting. Today I was able to check the Government Gazette, and confirm that the notice establishing the unit, "during the period of hostilities in South Africa", was dated 1 December 1914 and was published in Gazette 611 dated 4 December. Evidently a case of "recruit first, gazette later".

For the record, the other temporary units raised under the same notice were : 2nd Imperial Light Horse; Southern Rifles; 2nd Durban Light Infantry; 2nd Kimberley Regiment; 2nd Transvaal Scottish; SA Irish; the depot Battalion; and the Rhodesian Regiment.

Thanks again, Arthur. I am passing on the information you and William have provided to a friend, who is also interested in the Rand Rifles. He pointed out the the Rand Rifles of the Boer War were (?mainly) mine guards, so perhaps the premature recruitment was amongst those men. I wonder if there is any way of establishing the names of RR veterans who went on to take part in the 1922 Miner's Revolt?

Do you know the name of the Officer Commanding the Rand Rifles and if a regimental nominal roll exists?

Regards

Brett

I wonder if there is any way of establishing the names of RR veterans who went on to take part in the 1922 Miner's Revolt?

Interesting question. There were prosecutions after the revolt had been crushed, so it ought to be possible, with some effort, to compile a list of some names, at least, from newspaper reports and court records. They could then be compared with the RR nominal roll. Whether the result would justify the effort is another matter.

Do you know the name of the Officer Commanding the Rand Rifles and if a regimental nominal roll exists?

No idea. There ought to be records at Defence HQ, which a researcher could locate.

Arthur, thank you again for being so prompt and helpful in your responses.

I need to find someone who has already thoroughly researched the Rand Rifles and the Miner's Revolt for their own purposes!

The medals in question should be arriving soon and when I have them in hand I will approach a researcher to look for relevant records in Pretoria. There may be no more than a single card, but perhaps something useful will come from it.

Regards

Brett

If they were in GSWA 1914-15, check the "Naamlyste" (nominal rolls used for the 1914-15 star) at the Mil. Archives in Schoeman Street, Pretoria. These usually list O/C, Adjutant, RSM etc for the unit at the time plus names of those qho qualified for the star.

• 5 months later...

G'day Gentlemen

I believe my grandfather John Francis Purcell DSO commanded the Rand Rifles in GSWA. He was mentioned in despatches dated 22 August 1918 with Lt Col Cresswell

His service record indicated he joined as Brevet Major on 20 Oct 1914 and was appointed Lt Col. He was released on 20 August 1915 to joint he SAEF Brigade where he commanded the Reserve battalions and relieved Lukin as Brigade Commander in 1918.

He had originally served in Cape Mounted Rifles from 1881 to 1910 (with Harry Lukin, a great friend). He 'retired' in 1910 and was seconded to Southern Rhodesia Volunteers in Bulawayo until 1914.

I have no more info on what the RR did other than the Xmas day landing & first contact.

Hello Brett and others!

I have just checked my index of boxes at the SADF which contain the lists of the men who received the 1914-15 Star and the Rand Rifles are included in one of the boxes.

I will check it out next time I go and if there is a list, I will photograph a copy and send it to you.

If you already have this, drop me an email and let me know.

Kind regards

Audrey