News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lt. Col. Sam Steele Weekly Reports - February 25th 1900

The Right Hon. Lord Strathcona and Mount Royal

Victoria Street,

London, S.W.

OTTAWA

25th February 1900

Dear Lord Strathcona

Your kind favor was duly received

I am grateful for your expression of satisfaction at my appointment, and will do my utmost to make the Corps do credit by your name.

The organization is now complete, as far as the men are concerned, and the horses coming in fast. Over three hundred have arrived, and the remainder are by this time are on the way. The saddlery, all of which has to be made, is now complete and will be issued this week. The clothing and all stores have carefully inspected by a board of experienced officers, and the evidence of the experts in the corps taken. The uniforms are good and fit well. I have Master Tailor Creegan of "A" Battery doing the fitting. His experience has been great, and I find the advantage of it.

I have done my best in selecting officers and men. The great majority of the officers have a great deal of experience, and more than three-fourths are Western men. I was forced, on account of the lack of material, to get the remainder from the East, but they are good horsemen and possessed of certificates of qualification.

The men are a fine capable and highly respected lot; the physique such as to make them the beau ideal of what horsemen should be. A few men have enlisted in the East for special purposes, not for mounted work. Shoeing-Smiths, saddlers and buglers could not be got in sufficient numbers in the West.

The medical officer, Dr. Kegegan, was selected by Dr. Stewart. Dr. McEachran will select the V. Surgeons.

I find that our force is the backbone of the organization. Their experience in the West makes even the Veterinary Surgeon a better man.

The knowledge of discipline and advantage of it are plainly to be seen. I think the V.S. Will be selected from one of two men in the N.W.M. Police.

Drill has been going on daily, the thirteen shoeing smiths are hard at work.

The people of Montreal are anxious for us to parade there on our way. This could be done on foot as well, but the detraining of five hundred horses would be quite a task, and some might be injured. They are all new to the cities and although hard to frighten would give us a good deal of trouble.

I sent my initial report last week, and will of course continue furnishing your Lordship with all the information that I can.

Yours respectfully.

(signed) S. B. Steele