News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"An Ironic Kaiserpreis"...... by Rick Research

From Rick's last trip to Boxborough...from the vaults of Mordor....

" Greetings from the Island!

"This is an ironic sword- awarded for marksmanship!

This is a beautiful maidenhair Damascus pattern IOD 89 with a two ring nickled scabbard, blackened for wear after 1906. It was -as all such "Kaiser prizes" were- the personal gift of Kaiser Wilhelm himself to the officer commanding the best marksmen in every Army Corps at the annual maneuvers. (The officer also got the REO4 according to some sources).

It is inscribed "Ehrenpreis fuer hervorragende Schiessleistungen 1905 dem Oberleutnant Oswald von Infant. Regt. Von Alvensleben (6 Brandenb.) No. 52. With deluxe fittings and a "WII" pommel cap.

Fritz Franz Gustav OSWALD was born in Schippenbeil, East Prussia on the 4th of October, 1870. A Protestant and the son of Privatbaumeister Gustav Oswald and Emma nee' Hein. By 1910 he was married to Frieda nee' Paschke.

On October 3, 1891-as an Abiturient- he joined IR 52 as a Volunteer

Jan. 27 1893 promoted Lieutenant

Jan. 27 1902 S4s Oberleutnant

Jan. 1908 J6i Hauptman

01.10.96-31.03.00: Adjutatnt III/IR 52

01.10.00-20.07.03: attended complete course at the War Academy, but he did not pass to the General Staff

15.03.05-18.04.05: Took the course in infantry marksmanship at the Markmanship School (obviously good timing!)

24.08.05-26.01.08: Regimental Adj. of IR 52

27.01.08 transferred, with effective promotion to Captain, to IR 141

22.03.10 transferred as an instructor to the War School Glogau

early 1914- transferred to IR 81

23. September 1914 killed in action near Ville Sur Tourbe while serving with IR 87...by someone whose markmanship was just as good...if not better!

Awards:

RAO4 (received in 1914?)

Kaiser Wilhelm Centenary Medal

Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th class (BMV4)

Source: Stammliste IR 81/ Honor rank lists

I would guess- alas, RR had no Regt. history. Any other Gnomes got some info on Oswald perchance?

What little I can add:

Oswald was transferred from Glogau to IR 81 on 19 June 1914, gazetted in the 20.6.1914 edition of the MWB.

According to Busche's Formationsgeschichte der deutschen Infanterie im Ersten Weltkrieg, Oswald commanded I./RIR 87.

Regards