News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

China Incident Commemorative Medal

Richard LaTondre

I stand by all my comments, none of which were interlaced with venom (sigh...) or peppered with snideness (as far as I could tell). I apologized for the title infringement, but for some reason John feels it was inadequate. What can I say? However, I do not think an apology is needed for pointing out that a medal with no ribbon sold for $1100 less than one with a ribbon. And I don't think my referring to the auction was an infraction. The price difference was astounding and I showed buyers how much at least one person was willing to pay. I mean, come on, both you and I are selling things to make a profit. Although I don't think what I did was wrong, perhaps my thinking is misguided.

Anyway, interpret my comments as you wish.

I will continue to try and contribute to the forum as much as I can with my limited schedule.

Cheers,

Rich

We're obviously going around in circles from now on. Anyone that has followed this converstation over the last few pages can obviously see that you're not being entirely honest and just going to hold your ground no matter what. That's fine, now we know more about you. "Anyway, not trying to make things bigger," but by using "Chinese collaborator" in the auction title and not explaining the truth in the description simply compounds what we now know. Wow, hypocrisy is pretty easy when it's done behind the safety of a computer screen.

Cheers,

John

Edited by Gunjinantiques

Come on guys. This simply isn't worth it. I'd recommend sucking it up, shaking hands, and try to not have any hard feelings. If you REALLY feel like pursuing this further, I'd recommend talking into the private arena.

I can appreciate and understand where both of you are coming from, I'm not taking any sides, as I have purchased many items from the both of you and like both of you - but I don't think anybody is going to score any points with potential future buyers if you keep on like this. It's not professional or businesslike to continue this here. :unsure:

Rich and John,

I've greatly enjoyed and appreciated your contributions to this forum so it would be saddened to see either or both of you leave.

I've posted a topic on some mysterious sporting medals that surfaced in a large Chinese collection. We suspect from the style of the inscriptions that they may be Japanese awards or manufacture.

Please have a look and any thoughts / theories would be gratefully received.

Gavin

I'm sorry, but people need to be called out when their comments aren't appropriate or they aren't being honest. This is how spoiled children become rotten adults. I joined the GMIC for the honesty and intergrity that surpasses other sites. I find it lacking in the above comments. Have any of my comments above been untrue, off mark or unreasonable?

I'm not going to get into the middle of it, I've got my own opinions that can remain my own. Unfortunately, the whole thing has spiraled well out the realm of academics, and far from a useful conversation about pricing/value. This just isn't the place to hash this out any further.

• 3 weeks later...

Now, this is far more rational, I'm sure many of you saw this one:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

Not the BEST condition, but not bad at all. Hard to beat that price. I almost pulled the trigger on it, but had to pass it up until my wallet recovers from my car bills! :sleep:

Edited by Dieter3

I almost pulled the trigger on it, but had to pass it up until my wallet recovers from my car bills! :sleep:

I wonder what car you have there :whistle:

Ferrari Enzo Gemballa Mig-U1?

P.S. I missed this piece ;) $550 ... Sweet price for a medal in this condition!

I know, right?? Fantastic price! I couldn't actually believe that I found the auction and the thing was unsold at the time! I knew it wouldn't last though, not for that price. But that is really more in line with what one sees on Yahoo! Japan, or slightly better!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, I would - but not at that price! $550.00 like that other one, yeah, that's more my price and more in line with what they sell for on Yahoo! Japan. True, they don't come up all that often. But they do come up!

The sheer agony of the red tape, hidden fees, taxes and gaurantee deposits required on Yahoo Japan make your offer of $550.00 a bargain. Unless you are the first born son of a samurai, it can be difficult to buy or sell on that venue of 'bargains.'

Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes, Yahoo! Japan does not come without a price, but it opens up a market nearly unavailable on eBay. Now, if we could just get the dollar strengthed against the yen, it'd cetainly be more worth it!

Now, if we could just get the dollar strengthed against the yen, it'd cetainly be more worth it!

Dream on! :lol:

P.S. If it comes to that - if we could just get the ruble strengthed against the dollar! :whistle:

Come on guys! We can do it! :lol:

Edited by JapanX

• 1 month later...

HEY! I had made a post here to follow up, it must have been wiped out in the recent whatever happened.

40 yen to dollar wouldn't surprise me! It's pretty much at the limit where I will no longer make purchases from Japan because the rate is so bad. In fact, my eBay buying of more common items has more recently picked up because of this. I don't expect financial miracles with what just happened here last Tuesday - essentially, NOHING changed.