News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2nd class of Order of the Brilliant Star: French post-war vintage

JapanX

Thanks for posting these photos, HC.

Fascinating to say the least, and very well documented as would be expected for an award still in the family).

Not only does it come with the miniature, it also comes with TWO rosettes.

Thanks drclaw,

Well he is not related to me, but he is my aunt's husband (my dad's brother in law)... I think it is still called uncle.. right? lol

He gave me one of his other medals, it is not as good as the Brilliant Star, but just the civil service medal and certificate. He has all three I think, and gave me the first class. It was nice of him to do that.

Great info and great photos hc8604!

Many thanks :beer:

Amazingly low number for award from 1973!

Two rosettes! Now it's clear why box for 2nd class had two corner "pockets" ;)

Best regards,

Nick

P.S. Nice quality and the order looks like it was made in silver ;)

I've noticed with some Republic and Nationalist Orders, the rarest are often the lowest classes. For example, it's rare to find an 8th Class Striped Tiger and a 9th Class has never been seen to my knowledge. This is in contrast with the Japanese Orders such as the Auspicious Clouds.

In an old JOMSA article on the Order of the Brilliant Jade, James Peterson cites the China Yearbook 1945 for the number of awards from July 1937 to December 1943. Note that the Brilliant Jade was originally TWO separate awards (the "extraordinary class" Grand Order of the Brilliant Jade, which continues to be awarded today; and the nine-class Order of the Brilliant Jade). These numbers refers to the latter I'd imagine:

1st Class (14), 2nd Class (43), 3rd Class (82), 4th Class (100), 5th Class (144), 6th Class (69), 7th Class (32), 8th Class (11), 9th Class (5).

Compare this to the number of Auspicious Clouds awarded from 1934-1940 (from Peterson's book on Orders, Decorations and Medals of Japan and Associated States):

1st Class (110), 2nd Class (187), 3rd Class (701), 4th Class (1820), 5th Class (3447), 6th Class (6257), 7th Class (8329), 8th Class (33,706).

So I wonder whether the same is also true for the Brilliant Star, that very few were awarded in the lowest classes. Are there anything in the awarding criteria / statutes that might explain this?

I would assume a lot of high ranking officials gave the good medal to themselves or gave it to others for the heck of it (or for other medals in return or favors). It would also be difficult for some regular citizen to earn a medal. For example, many 1-3rd classes of Cloud and Banners were given to US generals and admirals during WWII and up to Vietnam. But rarely would any lower classes be given out to a lets say, a sergeant or corporal, unless they did something spectacular and everybody knows about it. My uncle solved a very big case and was awarded 9th class. I don't know how long he was in the police force, but in his 30s or so, he was probably a couple years into it. Now if he was police chief he would have got the top 3 class. So, big name/high position = you have a better chance of getting a nice shiny medal.

But.. that is just my view :)

I reckon there's a lot of truth in that view which could have a historical basis going as far back as the Qing Dynasty.

The 1882 statutes for the Order of the Double Dragon details categories for (foreign) recipients. For the 4th Class it was lieutenants or NCOs. For the 5th Class it was businessmen. It would be extraordinary for a lieutenant or NCO to be brought to the attention of the Court or high ranking Qing officials who determined awards. No surprises that 4th or 5th Class Double Dragons are today very rare!

Very different to the Japanese awards. I recall reading somewhere that an ordinary soldier was automatically entitled to the Order of the Golden Kite 8th Class if he was killed in action.

I've noticed with some Republic and Nationalist Orders, the rarest are often the lowest classes. For example, it's rare to find an 8th Class Striped Tiger and a 9th Class has never been seen to my knowledge. This is in contrast with the Japanese Orders such as the Auspicious Clouds.

In an old JOMSA article on the Order of the Brilliant Jade, James Peterson cites the China Yearbook 1945 for the number of awards from July 1937 to December 1943. Note that the Brilliant Jade was originally TWO separate awards (the "extraordinary class" Grand Order of the Brilliant Jade, which continues to be awarded today; and the nine-class Order of the Brilliant Jade). These numbers refers to the latter I'd imagine:

1st Class (14), 2nd Class (43), 3rd Class (82), 4th Class (100), 5th Class (144), 6th Class (69), 7th Class (32), 8th Class (11), 9th Class (5).

Compare this to the number of Auspicious Clouds awarded from 1934-1940 (from Peterson's book on Orders, Decorations and Medals of Japan and Associated States):

1st Class (110), 2nd Class (187), 3rd Class (701), 4th Class (1820), 5th Class (3447), 6th Class (6257), 7th Class (8329), 8th Class (33,706).

So I wonder whether the same is also true for the Brilliant Star, that very few were awarded in the lowest classes. Are there anything in the awarding criteria / statutes that might explain this?

采玉勋章1933年12月2日设立,1935年改版,41年2月12日被卿云勋章和景星勋章取代后随即废止。41年2月12日以后就不会有再采玉勋章了。

Thanks JC, I will post a translation here:

The Order of the Brilliant Jade was established on 2 December 1933, and revised in 1935. On 12 February 1941, it was replaced by the Order of the Propitious Clouds and the Order of the Brilliant Star.

That one is still numbered, but the latch thing covers it at an angle.

I have always seen this one on ebay and never realized it until now, that it is missing the red/blue layer! It is also the Taiwan version. The seller is offering fakes, but this and another one is real.. but both are too expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190509563386?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That one is still numbered, but the latch thing covers it at an angle.

;)

... that it is missing the red/blue layer! It is also the Taiwan version

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190509563386?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

No wonder! One screw is missing and another screw looks like replacement.

Edited by JapanX

• 1 month later...