News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persian Effigy medals of Qajar period

Markus

This is an Effigy medal from Najafcoin site.

"http://www.najafcoins.com/Pahlavi_Ghajar_Dec.htm"]http://www.najafcoins.com/Pahlavi_Ghajar_Dec.htm[/Most of the ones I have seen have featured Shah Naser ed-Din (reign from 1848-1896).

Found the original Morton and Eden auction listing on this item:

‡428

Qajar, Order of the Lion and Sun (Homayoun), superior grade of the Imperial Effigy, a magnificent jewelled neck badge, Nasir al-Din Shah issue, of Iranian manufacture, late 19th century, comprising a gold badge with a glazed oval portrait miniature of Nasir al-Din Shah surrounded by three rows of rose diamonds, around an elaborate wreath in the form of an olive branch surmounted by an ornate crowned scroll of roses, all set with diamonds of varying sizes, 148mm high including suspension, minor trace of repair to one facet diamond of the lower left wreath, good very fine and extremely rare £7,000-9,000

THE DECORATION OF THE IMPERIAL EFFIGY was first mentioned in the statutes of 1848 when it was incorporated into the Order of the Lion and Sun as a superior grade. Interestingly, this was the only Qajar order on which jewels were not forbidden by law: ‘The decoration with the Imperial Effigy alone is exempted from this rule, because of the respect due to the portrait of His Majesty, which demands that it should be surrounded by jewels.’ Under the same statutes, the Order was extended to foreigners of exalted rank. By the beginning of the 20th century, the order of the Imperial Effigy was extended to three classes, with three rows of diamonds surrounding the effigy in the 1st class, two in the 2nd and one row in the 3rd class.

Literature:

C. P. Mulder, Persian Orders 1808-1925, Ordenshistorick Selskab, 1990.

Hammered at 9,500 pounds.

Edited by Markus

Another type of Effigy medal with Shah Naser ed-Din (reign from 1848-1896). Image, courtesy of Babar.

Enamel on gold set in an unmarked silver gilt laurel-wreath frame, with a scrolling stand, 4x3 cm excluding frame.

In the Hashem Khosrovani Qajar Collection.

This Imperial Effigy was presented by the Shah Naser ed-Din to the British envoy the Hon. Sir Charles Augustus Murray on his departure from Tehran. Sir Charles was British Ambassador in Tehran between 1854-1859.

The miniature is signed by Abu'l Hasan, who is surely to be identified as Abu'l Hasan Ghaffari, Sani al-Mulk. On 19 may 1861 Abu’l-Hasan was named Sani` al-Mulk (‘painter of the kingdom’) and given a building in which to establish his own school of painting. He was also court painter for Muhammad Shah.

Source: Qajar Portraits by Julian Raby

Edited by Markus

This Effigy medal looks like Fath Ali Sha (1797-1834 reign), making this a very old piece. Image courtesy of Babar.

I love the lions framing the sun burst with ruby.

Edited by Markus

This Effigy medal looks like Fath Ali Sha (1797-1834 reign), making this a very old piece. Image courtesy of Babar.

I love the lions framing the sun burst with ruby.

Amazing collection!!!

Thanks for posting these Markus!

Congratulations Babar! ;)

Cheers,

Nick

Hey Nick,

Thanks again for all those Persian History documents! I feel like I am getting my masters in Persian studies.

Markus

I have handled imperial effigies for Nasr-ed-din, Muzzafar and Ahmed Shah and I know of a European collection that has a Muhammed Shah (a serious rarity!). The Fath Ali Shah is an absolute peach. Interestingly effigies made for Persian recipients tend to have coarser cut stones and frames than those given to foreigners, Probably rightly so as the imperial effigy was the most important part of the decoration for Persian recipients.

Paul

I have handled imperial effigies for Nasr-ed-din, Muzzafar and Ahmed Shah and I know of a European collection that has a Muhammed Shah (a serious rarity!). The Fath Ali Shah is an absolute peach. Interestingly effigies made for Persian recipients tend to have coarser cut stones and frames than those given to foreigners, Probably rightly so as the imperial effigy was the most important part of the decoration for Persian recipients.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

The Effigy medals sure are works of art. Thanks for your input.

Markus

A miniature portrait of Muhammad Shah circa 1845. Opaque enamels on sheet gold, in an enameled gold frame, 8.7 x 6.7 cm. Portrait medallions of Muhammad Shah are not common, but the increasing significance of such medallions in the dress code of the court is reflected in the fact that Muhammad Shah is here wearing on his left breast, a portrait medallion of Fath Ali Shah.

In the Nasser D. Khalili Collection of Islamic Art.

Edited by Markus

A portrait of Muhammad Shah in a new type of court dress in the early 1840's. Note the Effigy medal of Fath Ali Shah on his left jacket breast.

Edited by Markus

An interesting photo of Queen Victoria wearing an Effigy medal with Shah Naser al-Din (reign from 1848-1896).

This Effigy medal was presented to Queen Victoria in 1873 along with the order of Aftab. This was the first time the Sovereign Effigy order had been bestowed to a female recipient. Sadly, this medal was later cannibalized and the diamonds were used in royal necklace.

Edited by Markus

Another view of Shah Naser al-Din visit with Queen Victoria from London magazine dated July 13, 1859. Shah Naser al-Din was the first modern Iranian monarch to visit Europe in 1873 and then again in 1878 (when he saw a Royal Navy Fleet Review), and finally in 1889 and was reportedly amazed with the technology he saw there. During his visit to the United Kingdom in 1873, Naser al-Din Shah was appointed by Queen Victoria a Knight of the Order of the Garter, the highest English order of chivalry. He was the first Iranian monarch to be so honoured. His travel diary of his 1873 trip has been published in several languages as Persian, German, French and Dutch.

Edited by Markus

Yes, Victoria was the only one who received both a new Order of Aftab and the Royal Portrait during this Eiropean trip of the Shah. The English translation of Shah's memoirs name this badge as an "Order of My Own Portrait". BTW (we all remember:) the ribband across Victoria's shoulder is of the Order of Aftab. I'd like to know who made this photoset of Victoria in Persian decorations (there are several photos of the Queen in these insignias). I have no any proofs, but I believe it could be Shah himself - he was a great fan of photography:)

And here we have another photo.

It looks very much like it was taken on the same day (at least during the exact same visit ;) )

In the center we see our old friend together with Persian and Russian officials.