News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Searching Information to an Crew Member Panzerschiff Admiral Graf Spee

Hello Gentlemen,

I´m surching a crewlist of the Kreuzer Admiral Graf Spee at the time at Montevideo or

someone who please could check a name for me if he returnd to Germany during WW 2.

The person I,m surching is Steinhoff. I know that there exist a list with this names but I have no

access.

Thanks

Andreas

Edited by hucks216

• 4 years later...
    1 hour ago, derek hicks said:

A little late with information!!   website

http://admiral-graf-spee.blogspotcom ....list consists of about 25 pages complete...Regards  Derek

Hi Derek, thanks for the link very appreciated, but unfortunately it doesn´t work.

I´m looking for the crewmember Oberfeuerwerksmaat Berthold Steinhoff.

Kind regards
    Andreas

2 hours ago, hucks216 said:

He is listed on the crew list that the Argentines compiled when the crew were interned. The 'Ja' at the end relates to him being married.

steinhoff.jpg

Thanks a lot hucks216, now I also know when he was born, much appreciated

Is there also mentioned, if he escaped from Argentina?

Regards Andreas

1 hour ago, hucks216 said:

It doesn't mention that but I don't think many did. I know of a handful of officers who made it back to Germany (one was killed aboard the Bismarck) but not of any sailors.

I think Berthold managed to come home during WW2

AK Steinhoff 6.jpg

What do you think?

Regards Andreas

Very hard to say without more details but chances are that it is the same person - same trade as well and the next rank up from the one held in 1939.

A couple of years ago someone was selling so called 'Word of Honour' slips of paper that officers and crew of Graf Spee had to sign to say that they would come back from a period of leave. One of those slips was for Berthold Steinhoff. Whether they were original or not I don't know. Someone tried to sell them on GMIC at one point.

You have some digging to do! : )

Try posting a question in the Kriegsmarine section of the Axis History Forum asking if anyone has a list of those who escaped internment from Argentina.

After the war 850 sailors were repatriated back to Germany, although 400 went straight back to Argentina to start/continue their new life.

Edited by hucks216

Looking at this clipping from an Australian newspaper dated for 12th September 1942, it gives a number of 130 for those who had escaped from internment so with that in mind it is highly likely that the sailor on the citation is the same as the Graf Spee survivor.

paper.jpg

His remained documents:

Dienstauszeichnung IV. Klasse

Medaille zur Erinnerung an die Heimkehr des Memellandes

Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1.Oktober 1938

Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse

Flottenkriegsabzeichen

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern

Regards Andreas

I thought it might of been. I have a Soldbuch to a senior officer of Graf Spee who also escaped back to Germany. His EK II entry is dated for 1939 and his Flottenkriegsabzeichen is dated for 1942. 

The officer never went back to sea again as far as I can work out and if your Flottenkriegsabzeichen is for the Graf Spee I wonder if that is also true for your man?

• 7 months later...

Of interest I have quite a number (about 25-30) of original 'words of honour' from the Graf Spee.   Set of original photos of funeral Langsdorf.  Internment document Luftwaffe Major serving on Graf Spee.  Letter from Langman (Ambassador Uruguay) to Argentinian authorities thanking them for getting Graf Spee seaworthy again.

• 2 years later...

If anyone can help, I am searching for another crew member, Herbert krueger interned in Argentina... His rank may be Masch. OGefr. Any information regarding his fate welcome. Thank you.

DSC_3724 - Copy.JPG