News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Cap Badge - or, Souvenir ?

This attractive gilt badge came in with a very special WW1 Group that I will be showing

on the British Section in the near future. He served in Belgium and was awarded the Mons

Star for service betweeen Aug 5th and Nov.22nd.. There were many small contemporary

items in the box , including this Belgian Crowned (I hope it is ) fouled anchor. Was it perhaps a Naval

cap badge - or, a lapel pin ?

Your opinions will be welcomed. Mervyn

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2012/post-6209-0-34302900-1331313951.jpgCLLICK TO ENLARGE

Hello Mervyn,

Have a quite detailed book about Belgian military badges (1830-2010) and I'm afraid this badge is not in the list. Maybe it's a civilian souvenir or a more modern badge???

Kind regards,

Jef

- we will just have to hope someone will recognise it ? Mervyn

Hello Mervyn,

If no one does, I can put it on your behalf on a Belgian forum , if you want to...

Jef

Guy - I always confuse the Dutch and Belgian Crowns. Is there an easy way to remember which is which ?

Jef - I think it will be very helpful to identify this - so, yes please - see if you can get it identified ?

With the Medal Group there were a number of unusual items - all of which have proved genuine. These

included an SS armband with a label ! Mervyn

May I make a suggestion to our Belgian Members - your links with the UK are very strong - and yet we

don't seem to have a lot of interaction. The group I mention above - and which I will post soon - has the Mons

Star and the proper recognition Bar for Aug. 5th to Nov 22nd. I also posted one a few weeks ago to the British

Royal Naval Reserve who fought as Infantry at Mons and Ypres - he also helped to defend Antwerp.

Ypres still have a daily ceremony to commemorate this defence - how about some photos and also the feelings

of modern day Belgians on these old events ? Mervyn

To my opinion it is not Dutch. Dutch anchors wear a similar crown, but the brass RNLN crowns (worn only by the Marines) are all plain, where as this anchor has a "rough" surface. Also the pin broach is not Dutch, Dutch anchors are fastened to the shoulderloops and vizor cap by 2 brass lugs.

Dutch, Belgian and Danish crowns are very similar.

Jef - I think it will be very helpful to identify this - so, yes please - see if you can get it identified?

Mervyn,

I have put your question on a Belgian ( ABL)Forum, so far no answer. Keep your fingers crossed...

Jef

Hello Mervyn,

I think Guy is right. Philippe a user of the Belgian ABL Forum pointed in the direction of the Dutch Marine Corps ( Koninklijk Korps Mariniers). I found this in a Dutch Marine Webshop.... It is not exactly the same but according to Philippe a lot of countries uses the ancre for their Naval Forces. Very few countries have a badges where the crown and ancre are in one piece. The Netherlands are one of these countries.

First pic is a badge, second are barets with the badges attached.

Hope this is OK,

Jef

• 1 month later...

Hello Mr. Mervyn Mitton

I can easily solve this "enigma" for you.

Actually I happened to find this forum because I was searching the internet to solve an enigma of my own - a naval cap badge. But that will be for later. I have just registered to be a member - the first “task” for me will be to tell you, that you are the lucky owner of a Danish "Cadet anchor"!

Its part of a set of two anchors being each other’s mirror image - this is the reverse one – as can be seen from the way the rope goes. One for each side of the collar of the dress uniform of the Danish navy to denote the wearer as a navy cadet – a “student” at the Danish Naval Academy (SOS elev)

I found a picture from the Danish Naval Academy showing a cadet, in this case a junior cadet - a sergeant, wearing the anchors on his jacket collar.

Also two pictures from the official rank and insignia poster showing the anchor and its equivalent with an “R” – a variation used by student officers of the naval reserve school (SRS elev).

As can be clearly seen as a difference from the "general" Danish Navy anchor, the cadet anchor has a peculiar “corrugated” and slim appearance – the anchor of the Navy is smooth and has a different shape (SVN anker).

When wearing the sweater the cadet will wear the badge on the pencil pocket and in “shirt-order” on the left pocket of the shirt. As far as I know this item having a pin on the back is fairly new as to be able to be worn in these above mentioned ways. Older ones were just flat on the backside, because they were sewn directly to the collar.

Kind regards

Alex Bech

Maritime Force Protection, Denmark

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2012/post-13828-0-01477900-1335987719.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2012/post-13828-0-92298100-1335987742.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2012/post-13828-0-64759100-1335989693.gifhttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2012/post-13828-0-64040800-1335987675.jpg

Edited by Alex Bech