News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 10 months later...

This is a rare WW1 officer's pass, one of twelve made. It was carried by officer's specially appointed to carry secret despatches between the War Office in London and GHQ in France in the early part of the war. It should be engraved with details in English signed by Kitchener on one side and in French with War Minister's signature on the other, Hallmarked SG London 1914, with enamelled emblems of Belgium and France, and engraved War Office emblem, and Special Pass No ?? (whatever one yours is). As regards value, well the only other one I am aware of was one that was donated to the Royal United Services Institute Museum (which closed in 1962) it came up for auction a couple of years ago and realised £1,500 inc. So, you will need to up this for insurance purposes.

One of twelve! A real heirloom, and a very classy one too. Any family history on the man? I see that he was a member of the Victorian Order, which Wikipedia describes as follows:

"recognising distinguished personal service to the order's Sovereign, the reigning monarch of the Commonwealth realms, any members of their family, or any of their viceroys. . Established in 1896, the order's chapel is the Savoy Chapel, its official day is 20 June, and its motto is Victoria, alluding to the society's founder, Queen Victoria."

Edited by peter monahan

• 3 weeks later...

This is a rare WW1 officer's pass, one of twelve made. It was carried by officer's specially appointed to carry secret despatches between the War Office in London and GHQ in France in the early part of the war. It should be engraved with details in English signed by Kitchener on one side and in French with War Minister's signature on the other, Hallmarked SG London 1914, with enamelled emblems of Belgium and France, and engraved War Office emblem, and Special Pass No ?? (whatever one yours is). As regards value, well the only other one I am aware of was one that was donated to the Royal United Services Institute Museum (which closed in 1962) it came up for auction a couple of years ago and realised £1,500 inc. So, you will need to up this for insurance purposes.

thank so you so much for info, you are spot on for details, how did you find out so much on this pass ? kind regards cadogan