News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

odd one out !

I have seen a Bavarian award in a Boer war WW1 group..... The man was a POW and saved the lives of 2 children after they fell through some thin ice and they gave him a Bavarian award and after the war he used to wear it along with his other medals......

I am not sure what it was but it had a White Ribbon with Dark Blue Stripes......

Mike

Normal? No. Often seen? Yes. There were numerous connections between the British and German forces prior to WWI. Edward VII and George V were honorary colonel-in-chief to several Prussian regiments (the Kaiser held similar positions) and visits were made back and forth. This often resulted in a number of awards by the visiting side. I've had several Royal Victorian Orders to Prussian Guards officers, for example. Other formal visits (e.g., observers at major exercises) often got a token award; attaches often were decorated at the end of their tour. 1914 brought an end to that, and certain foreign awards dropped out of groups on both sides, mostly to stay invisible. But, multi-national groups are interesting and unusual.