News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 months later...
    • 4 months later...

The latest for the collection and all to get another bar: Villiers

Most likely to a Wurttemberger as they fought against the French in the largest sortie/battle from beseiged Paris.  It took place from 29 November to 3 December and was a German Victory.  Although not in the best of shape, this parade mounted pair was once proudly worn by the recipient well over 110 years ago.

2016-05-12 01.29.19.jpg

2016-05-12 01.29.34.jpg

• 3 months later...
    • 9 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

The latest acquisition; only one more bar to go for having the complete set of Franco-Prussian War Official bars.

A medal bar with five medals including 1) A Kreuz des Allgemeinen Ehrenzeichens 1900-1918 (Cross of the General Honour Decoration), constructed of a silver Rupert cross, the obverse centre Gold medallion presents the crowned monogram WR (Wilhelm Rex), below this the year of foundation “1900,” the reverse presents the inscription “VERDIENST UM DEN STAAT” (“MERIT FOR THE STATE”), surrounded by an upward facing laurel wreath, maker mark on six o’clock cross arm “W” for Johann Wagner & Sohn of Berlin, measuring 39 mm (w) x 40 mm (h), arms of the cross show light contact marks, incorrectly attached to medal bar (backwards), and is in overall good condition. 2) An Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen (General Honour Medal), constructed of silver, the obverse bears the three-line inscription “VERDIENST UM DEN STAAT” (“MERIT FOR THE STATE”), which is surrounded by a laurel wreath, the reverse presents the crowned monogram “FWR III” (“FRIEDRICH WILHELM REX III”), measuring 39.20 mm, the medal shows contact marks on obverse and silver patina on the reverse, and is in overall good condition. 3) A Kriegsdenkmünze 1870/71 (War Commemorative Medal of 1870/71) constructed of bronze, the obverse shows the crowned royal cypher of Wilhelm I over the inscription “Dem siegreichen Heere” (“To the victorious army”), inscribed around the edge is “Gott war mit uns, Ihm sei die Ehre” (“God was with us, to Him be the Glory”), the reverse shows an Iron Cross with rays extending from between the arms, at the centre of the cross is a laurel wreath and the dates “1870 1871,” on the outer edge of the coin is the inscription “AUS EROBERTEM GESCHUETZ” (“FROM CONQUERED CANNON”), measuring 29 mm in diameter, with campaign clasps for Noisseville, St. Quentin, Metz, and Amiens, and in overall extremely fine condition. 4) Kaiser-Wilhelm-Erinnerungsmedaille Zentenarmedaille (Kaiser Wilhelm I. Memorial Medal), constructed of gilded bronze, the obverse presents a right-facing effigy of Wilhelm I in a military uniform wearing a mantle and Pickelhaube, the his left is the inscription “WILHELM DER GROSSE DEUTSCHE KAISER” (“WILLIAM THE GREAT GERMAN EMPEROR”), to the right the inscription “KOENIG VON PREUSSEN” (“KING OF PRUSSIA”), the reverse depicts the German State Crown, an orb, sword, and scepter placed upon a pillow surrounded by oak leaves, to the left is an upward climbing laurel branch, in the upper half is the inscription “ZUM ANDENKEN AN DEN HUNDERTSTEN GEBURTSTAG DES GROSSEN KAISERS WILHELM I. 1797 22.MAERZ 1897” (“IN MEMORY OF THE HUNDREDTH BIRTHDAY THE GREAT EMPEROR WILHELM I. 1797-MARCH 22-1897”), measuring 39.96 mm in diameter, and in very fine condition. 5) A Dienstauszeichnung (Long Service Award), displaying the monogram “F.W. III” (“FRIEDRICH WILHELM III”), measuring 34 mm (w) x 20 mm (h), and in very fine condition. Mounted to medal bar with original ribbons, a red wool backing, and maker mark on reverse of medal bar for “GUSTAV UHLIG” of Halle, measuring 14.4 cm (w) x 4 cm (h)c18-043172.jpg.9eb454ead89d40056930f39376e21720.jpgc18-043173.jpg.5f3dd1391e6d4a7d0d61c9b92338708b.jpg

11 hours ago, Paul R said:

What was the Kreuz des Allgemeinen Ehrenzeichens 1900-1918 awarded for?  This and the General Service Medal; this makes him a high performing officer?  Not valor awards, but high merit?

Hi Paul,

I haven't a clue.  Wasn't it awarded for the F-P War?  Why do you think it was for WWI?  Cheers,

15 hours ago, Paul R said:

What was the Kreuz des Allgemeinen Ehrenzeichens 1900-1918 awarded for?

for about 30 years of service

This and the General Service Medal; this makes him a high performing officer?

No, lower official or NCO

Not valor awards, but high merit? 

for good service

Kind regards
    Andreas

4 hours ago, azyeoman said:

Hi Paul,

I haven't a clue.  Wasn't it awarded for the F-P War?  Why do you think it was for WWI?  Cheers,

Hi,

not for the F-P war, as Paul already has explained, for genaeral service.

These medals were awarded until 1918.

Kind regards
    Andreas

Andreas,

Thank you for the answers.  So its not a very special medal then? :-(

21 hours ago, azyeoman said:

Hi Paul,

My mistake.  I meant to say FP war.  Maybe the dates of the medal threw me off. 

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have just had my coffee enjoying reviewing your collection. It is very impressive .

thank you for sharing and congratulations on your new acquisition.

Regards Mark 

14 hours ago, Mark P said:

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have just had my coffee enjoying reviewing your collection. It is very impressive .

thank you for sharing and congratulations on your new acquisition.

Regards Mark 

Thanks very much Mark, and welcome to GMIC. It's an excellent forum and a great place to learn so much about historical and contemporary issues.  

• 7 months later...