News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting pictures bought at a car boot fair.

Bought these pictures from a car boot fair, all original WW2 and show a downed V1 doodlebug, a Polish RAF Mustang and a Polish RAF Spitfire. There was also another picture of 2 B17F's and I have identified these as belonging to the 388th BG: 560th, 561st, 562nd, 563rd BS. One i've identified as 230212 G "Quarterback" and the other (only the tail is visible in the picture) 230177 F "Charlene" of the 562nd.

Quarterback was used as one of the first radio controlled bomb planes and was lost in the north sea 6th August 44. Charlene faired a bit better and was given as a gift by Eisenhower to the Free French General M P Koening C in C French Forces in Germany and renamed Bir-Hackeim and used between 45 -49 being finally struck off and sold in 1955 to the institute of Geographique National at Criel and was probably stripped for spares?

(There is a link via Quarterback to Joe Kennedy who flew from Fersfield on Operation Aphrodite).

No. 306 Polish Fighter North American Mustang.Throughout its existence, the squadron claimed 68 confirmed kills, 16½ probable and additional 26 damaged. In addition, the crews of the 306 downed 59 enemy V1 rockets It was disbanded in December 1946.

Great pics! I love originals like this that were never previously published. The Spit profile is simply superb!!

My guess on the wreck is a late model 109, from the shape of the burned out elevators.