News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW2 Africa Service Group of 6 Medals

Gentlemen,

In a recent auction I obtained in addition to other medals, a WW2 group :

1939/45 Star

Africa Star

Italy Star

Defence Medal

War Medal

Africa Service Medal

All medals are impressed with the details of the receipient are as follows:

578417 L.G.SMITH

I would be grateful if any member could advise whether it is possible to identify the unit and designation of the receipient. It may be of relevance that the group was obtained in South Africa. This is not my field of expertise and it may well be that this group can find a new home.

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,

Owain (OAMOTME)

Owain

It is a South African medal group and service papers will be on file in Pretoria. A new member of the GMIC is Aud and she is a well known researcher in South Africa who will be able to copy the papers for you.

Regards

Brett

Dear Brett,

Many thanks for you prompt response - nice to know that it is indeed a South African medal group. For the time being I will bide my time as the medals are in UK and I am back in Riyadh until late August / early September.

With kind regards,

Owain

The naming and the medal order confirm that it is a South African issue. The Defence Medal is the oddity.

They were not issued for service in Sth. Africa. However, for the invasion of Italy training camps were set-up

in Egypt - and I think Tunisia. The British Army - who ran them - decided the training entitled issue of the Defence Medal.