News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Army Pilot Badge Evolution

JapanX

... am I not correct in saying that alloy badges were issued late war ??

Hi Steve,

Frankly I will be more than happy if all these "flat pin" badges and "light" badges turn out to be originals ...

Because you see I also have these in my collection :lol:

Unfortunately lately I become very suspicious about their provenance.

As per today I don't have definitive proof that these are fakes (that's why "?") excerpt that

a) some of these badges don't have any signs of wear and looks suspiciously "fresh"

b) when they are not a) these signs of wear often look like they were artificially added by some "enthusiast"

c) badges with flat pin often sold in Japan as copies (and their hummer prices usually correspond to this status)

d) I can't find any evidence (photo or others) that these badges are "late war" badges

e) if these are indeed "late war" badges, then there are too many of them around (at least for my money)

Yes, but what about "flat pin" Manchu pilot badge (was shown in posts # 53)?! (Sometimes I heard this argument). Well, my answer will be simple - according to the official line drawing from Match 1940 original badge should have different pin on reverse + two raws of kanji ;)

Regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

• Replies 253
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur that these flat pin variety badges appear to be copies.They look to new and appear to be inconsistent with aging ,they are thick look new , also the slotted variety some varieties shown just look wrong...and do appear to be copied.

The light weight badges.....this interests me as those in your collection ,Tods and mine all are from the same source,they have an identical bubble / flaw at 7pm ,and a matching flaw on the hinge. This does not show up on any other varities..........including those ones that look dubiously new...or fake.

So would it not be realistic to put these badges into different camps, rather than just state light "alloy type" or" late war type."

I think the die flaw varity certainly has more correct qualities than flat pin and slotted versions of the pilots badge...and this die flaw type doesn't seem to crop up as much as some other types !!!

regards

steve

Edited by arrestanddevelopment

The light weight badges.....this interests me as those in your collection ,Tods and mine all are from the same source,they have an identical bubble / flaw at 7pm ,and a matching flaw on the hinge.

Yes Steve, all these badges (post #209, post # 228, etc) were made by the same manufacturer and come in two colors - gold and silver.

So would it not be realistic to put these badges into different camps

Yes, these are from the different camp than "flat pin" badges.

The only question - where this camp is located.

In safe green zone of original badges or red one that is full of fakes.

Too many strange features these badges have

Weight

Material

Size

Star

Color of wings (whats up with this gold wings?!)

+

Personally I've never seen inscribed badges of this type and this is quite strange (especially since we saw more than two badges of this type even in this thread)

+

We know for a fact (because of inscribed badges) that classical "bronze" badges were in use (at least) until 1943.

Regards,

Nick

Yes, but what about "flat pin" Manchu pilot badge (was shown in posts # 53)?! (Sometimes I heard this argument). Well, my answer will be simple - according to the official line drawing from Match 1940 original badge should have different pin on reverse + two raws of kanji ;)

That`s what I am talking about

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...