News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Army Pilot Badge Evolution

JapanX

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 253
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second badge is much cruder and made out of some lightweight aluminum alloy. It is still made up of separate pieces but they are painted, not gilded. In addition the the gold star and propeller, the wings have also been painted gold. The star is riveted to the shield.

No silver mark and therefore perhaps a lower quality of silver content? But is primarily silver. And my use of "first"...only to specify that is one of two badges I was posting.

Actually this "silver one" is very interesting!!!

Will it be possible for you to weigh it?

I have don't have a fine scale. Weight will have to come later. But the silver badge (my first one) is much heavier and thicker than the aluminum alloy one (the second one). As for being an after war copy, I have not found any information about this particular badge that is definitive. Yes, I have seen crude copies where the badge is flat and the star is glued to the shield, not riveted. This alloy model seems better made and is more in appearance and construction to the better quality models. So as yet, not sure if it is either a 1) better copy or 2) poor quality original.

But the silver badge (my first one) is much heavier and thicker than the aluminum alloy one (the second one).

That`s why I said that it is very interesting.

Indeed it looks like much higher quality piece (and indeed like silver one!)

... aluminum alloy one (the second one). As for being an after war copy, I have not found any information about this particular badge that is definitive.

Unfortunately I become more and more suspicious about these light aluminum badges ...

Yep.

"Something more"

Looks like Nakato is right about 1913 :whistle:

Here comes exact dates

Officer badge 陸軍飛行機操縦術習得徽章 将校用

was established on June 23, 1913 / 大正2年6月23日制定

NCO badge 陸軍飛行機操縦術習得徽章 下士官用

on the very same date June 23, 1913 / 大正2年6月23日制定

I was looking and I found this:

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi , I am interested, why #31-40 are suspect copies...?? and thus there is a question mark on Tods alloy badge.. am I not correct in saying that alloy badges were issued late war ?? looking though the threads I would not personally be that quick to condemn Tods badge, as I think the quality is much better than known fakes...

just my humble opinion ..

kind respects

steve

Edited by arrestanddevelopment