News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BEF 1917 medal

Hello all, this is a new thing for me so i'm sorry if i'm not to quick.

I was reasently searching for my great grand fathers WW1 service medals and came across something interesting. It is a goldish medal in a box with BRITISH EXPADITIONARY FORCE RECREATIONAL TRAINING embossed on one side and a wreath on the other side. The top of the box reads BRITISH EXPADITIONARY FORCE 1917. The family has know idea were it came from and the magical internet dosn't either!

My g-grandfather was in the 51st HD and did spend some time Bournville being treated for wounds. He may have picked it up here as the medal comes from Vaughtons Ltd. Birmingham. I will try and get some photo's up as quickly as possible and any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated. :{)

Max

front

The inside of the box reads Vaughton Ltd, Goldsmiths, Medallists, Livery Street, Birmingham and under the velvet backing it has 452 penciled on.

I feel almost certain that this is an award for Sports - organised at the Front to keep the troops occupied. The

back is blank to allow for a name to be engraved.

This may not necessarily be for France - we also had General Allenby's expeditionary Force in Mesopotamia.

If I am correct then it is a very interesting item - particularly with the named box. I hope someone can add to my

observations ? Mervyn

I have two slighly different ones shield shaped to the BEF Sports that were won by my Grandfather for Boxing......

Sports were used to keep troops busy and occupied when they were out of the trenches......

Mike

There is something very odd about the typography on the medal, it looks way too modern. The type on the box looks period, but the kerning and condensed type looks strangely computer generated, not crafted as usually seen on period items. Also the raised style of sans serif type is not of the usual period pieces one sees. The vertical type that says "recreational training" really looks like a modern varient type face. Just an opinion.

Kind regards

Strapper

Thank you all very much for much the information regarding the medal. It has been very very helpfull and it is good to know that he might have healthy at some point as my dad can't ever remember seeing my g-grandfather without a cigarette in hand. Thank you all very much againn as it is helping me build up a picture of his life in World War 1 and France. ;) :{)

Max