News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Waterloo medal with duty stamps on ring and rim.....

Guys, i have been sent photos of a Waterloo medal, which has been stamped on the silver ring and on the rim of the medal (above the I in Wellington)

the owner of the medal thinks that they are Dutch import duty marks.......what do you guys think of them?

The medal appears to have been renamed to G PORTEGIES 2ND HUSSARS KGL was this man on the Waterloo medal roll?, is it an original medal or a later silver copy with the marks on ring and rim simply marking it as silver?

I look forward to hearing you opinions!

cheers dan

Hello Dan......

G PORTEGIES 2ND HUSSARS KGL

I have gone through the medal roll published in 1992 but could not find your man......

Also:

It states that there was only the 1st and 3rd Regiment of Hussars of the King's German Legion.......

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

Hello Dan...... G PORTEGIES 2ND HUSSARS KGL I have gone through the medal roll published in 1992 but could not find your man...... Also: It states that there was only the 1st and 3rd Regiment of Hussars of the King's German Legion....... Mike

thanks for that Mike.

all the best Dan

• 1 month later...

Hello, apologies for late reply but just seen this thread....I collect 18th/19th century silver as my other hobby and think that you mark is actually French post 1838. It is really hard to see (so I could be wrong), but it looks like it might be the Franch post 1838 'Boars Head' mark, There is a link here (http://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_marks.html .....if you have a look at the bottom left picture of the web page, you will see the 'small' silver guarantee mark of the boars head. Your picture shows what might be a very indistinct makers mark (opposite side of the ring)....but I am nearing the realms of guess work here. Not sure how this would tie in with you source. I can't imagine that there will be too many Waterloo medals with French hallmarks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, apologies for late reply but just seen this thread....I collect 18th/19th century silver as my other hobby and think that you mark is actually French post 1838. It is really hard to see (so I could be wrong), but it looks like it might be the Franch post 1838 'Boars Head' mark, There is a link here (http://www.925-1000....ench_marks.html .....if you have a look at the bottom left picture of the web page, you will see the 'small' silver guarantee mark of the boars head. Your picture shows what might be a very indistinct makers mark (opposite side of the ring)....but I am nearing the realms of guess work here. Not sure how this would tie in with you source. I can't imagine that there will be too many Waterloo medals with French hallmarks!

thanks for that Monkey, all the best, Dan

• 5 years later...

I'm sorry for bumping this thread, but I was quite amazed to see this medal here. 

It so happens I was reading an old book about Friesian (=Dutch province Friesland) history the other day. There's a small story in it about an old Waterloo veteran Gerhardus Portegies who was then living in the city of Bolsward.

He was born in 1779, only a few kilometers from where I'm living now, and there's also a record on him in the National Archives in Kew:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C13321390

So how interesting to see his medal turned up! I've done some more research on this person, even found a letter in which he writes about his time in Spain during the Peninsular War.

It would be great if somehow I could get in touch with the current owner and perhaps get a better picture of the name Portegies on the medal.

23 hours ago, NykleD said:

I'm sorry for bumping this thread, but I was quite amazed to see this medal here. 

Welcome, NykleD. No apologies required. That's the good thing about this forum: threads are added to over the years as more and more information becomes available, making this site a wonderful repository of knowledge.

Thanks for bringing the National Archive record to our attention. It's a shame that it only cover the period 1800-1804.

On 2012-4-3 at 20:16, QSAMIKE said:

It states that there was only the 1st and 3rd Regiment of Hussars of the King's German Legion.......

Mike, do you mean by this - if you can remember at this distance in time - that 2nd Regiment of Hussars didn't exist or that they were not at Waterloo?

I suspect the latter as we know from the National Archive record found by NykleD (in post #9) that Portegies was in the 2nd Regiment of Hussars King's German Legion. However it covers his service from 1800-1804 so his presence at Waterloo isn't yet sourced other than the reference in the book NykleD found, it would seem.

Edited by Trooper_D

On 2017-6-18 at 15:06, Trooper_D said:

I suspect the latter as we know from the National Archive record found by NykleD (in post #9) that Portegies was in the 2nd Regiment of Hussars King's German Legion. However it covers his service from 1800-1804 so his presence at Waterloo isn't yet sourced other than the reference in the book NykleD found, it would seem.

Indeed it's hard to find good evidence of the 2nd Hussars KGL being at Waterloo. Or perhaps they were near Waterloo but didn't really participate in the battle. After all, Portegies received the Waterloo medal, and according to his military record he left the army on 25 June 1815 (a week after the battle of Waterloo) "at the request from ill state of health".