News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A sweet bargain

Paul, the crossed swords indicate it is for the Military division as opposed to the Civilian awards. It is usually awarded for the length of a career or exceptional service. However silver crossed swords were instituted in 1939 for all the national orders (Leopold I and II and the Order of the Crown) awarded to war vetrans, and the number of "war titles" earned. These were calculated by using several criteria; Number of decorations issued, citations recieved,escape, front stripes, and combat service amongst others.

Here is one issued for the Korean War

Edited by Laurence Strong

I forgot to mention yesterday, that for distinguished service during hostilities, a gold thread stripe was woven into the middle of the ribbon. If awarded for an act of exceptional bravery. and the recipient was mentioned in the nation's "Order's

of the Day" the ribbon would have gold thread edges and a gold star as well.

For the record my information is coming from "Hendirk'sMedal Corner" as site well worth visiting when trying to figure out the complexity of Belgian medals and orders:

http://users.skynet.be/hendrik/

• 1 month later...

Well can you believe it?... Got the Officer's badge too... Military division also... Under $80. I must've done something right in another life time...

Edited by TacHel

Was that one on Ebay Frank? i was eyeballiong one very sim ilar, just never went for it.

Larry

There were 3 simultaneous ones on eBay.be:

- 1 looked like a crudely hand painted knight's badge with an officier's ribbon;

- a 2nd was an over priced post 1951 award;

- and this old beauty which I got for about half of what I thought it would go for.

I don't quite understand why it shows so "silvery/grey" when scanned, it is actually a beautiful old brassy gold. There isn't even the slightest damage to the enamels, not even the green leaves, it's 100% mint. Heavy high quality construction too, I'm pleased as punch with it! :)

Edited by TacHel