News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I would appreciate your help with identification of ribbons on this Godet&Co. buttonhole mini. Here is my first try.

1. EK2

2. Prussian Red Cross Medal

3. Saxony Kingdom Military Merit Cross

4. Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross

5. Hindenburg Cross for fighter - (or 1870/71 campaign medal, while Hindy ribbon and swords are only on the top)

6. Prussia General Honour Decoration - or Red Eagle Order (?)

7. withered Dienstauzeichnung - or Order of the Crown (?)

8. Prussian Centenary Medal

9. Baden Jubilee Medal 1902 - or something else (?)

Edited by marrauder

I would appreciate your help with identification of ribbons on this Godet&Co. buttonhole mini. Here is my first try.

1. EK2

2. Prussian Red Cross Medal

3. Saxony Kingdom Military Merit Cross

4. Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross

5. Hindenburg Cross for fighter - (or 1870/71 campaign medal, while Hindy ribbon and swords are only on the top)

6. Prussia General Honour Decoration - or Red Eagle Order (?)

7. withered Dienstauzeichnung - or Order of the Crown (?)

8. Prussian Centenary Medal

9. Baden Jubilee Medal 1902 - or something else (?)

I think you have done all right naming the ribbons.;)

No. 5 would be the Hindenburg Cross.

No. 6 could be either, hard to know for sure.

No. 7 is most likely for Long Service.

No. 9 is the Baden Jubilee Medal ribbon.

A very nice Godet button hole.

Best wishes

Matt

Thanks for help, Matt.

Do you think the identification is posssible in this case, Sascha? Nine awards can be enough, but at least one is in doubt and the rest is not so extraordinary. Or am I wrong?

My guess is probably a Major or Major z.D./OTLzD, whose only prewar awards in any rank list would be the RAO4 and DA. Unfortunately, there are dozens of these, and the Baden Jubilee only narrows it down a bit.

The RKM and SKVK maybe narrow it down to someone in the rear, but again there are lots of those, especially among the recalled z.D. officers. I believe both the EK2 and the OFAK2 were awarded on the combatant ribbon to serving military officers even in Etappen- and Heimatdienst, so those don't really help, although it is possible he was a major with an Oldenburg connection who was wounded early in the war, getting the EK2 and OFAK2, and spent the rest of the war in homeland service, getting the RKM and SKVK.

But this is just speculation.

Thanks for any speculation, Dave. If he was wounded (early in the war), do you think he´d resisted the temptation to cap his button hole device with wound badge mini, or with wound badge and hindy swords combo?

I mean something like this:

Edited by marrauder