News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British NCO Uniform Questions

I was rummaging through the local surplus store and came across a few nice British Uniforms. I like this one the best.

1. What is the rank? Sargeant Major?

2. What are the ribbons?

3. Why are there loops above the ribbon bar?

4. Notice the emblem on the buttons. What does it represent?

5. What should go on the collar?

6. What is the fair market price of this set(trousers included)?`

I was rummaging through the local surplus store and came across a few nice British Uniforms. I like this one the best.

1. What is the rank? Sargeant Major?

2. What are the ribbons?

3. Why are there loops above the ribbon bar?

4. Notice the emblem on the buttons. What does it represent?

5. What should go on the collar?

6. What is the fair market price of this set(trousers included)?`

Hello Paul!

Here's some answers, to the best of my knowledge:

1. Staff sergeant (OR7)

2. NATO medal Bosnia (IFOR/SFOR) - QE2 Golden Jubilee Medal, 2002 - LS&GC medal (long service and good conduct, 15 years of service)

3. To fix the medal bar on to the jacket?

4. ? (Can you describe the emblem/badge, or do you have a better photo?)

5. Collar dogs, which ones depends on the buttons.

6. ?

/Jonas

Thank you Jonas.

They had another tunic with the General Service Medal(?- Green and purple ribbon... I was told that folks stationed in Ireland were awarded this). It also had the loops above the ribbon bar.

Here is a bigger pic of the button.

I might be wrong on the button, but my guess is the Royal Logistics Corps. Google that and I'm sure the appropriate collar dogs would turn up!

Here's a link to the General Service Medal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Service_Medal_%281962%29

/Jonas

Thanks for that. I will research the logistics corps insignia.

I notice that there are some belt hooks on the sides of the jacket. What type of belt would be worn with this uniform? Is this a current issue uniform?

How long does it normally take for a soldier to obtain the ranking of Staff Sargeant in the Royal Army?

Paul

This uniform is known as Number 2 dress and is worn by many Regiments as their parade uniform due mainly to budget cuts. As with everything regarding the British Army the dress distinctions for each Unit vary considerably.

The belt for this uniform would be either the green or on occaisions white plastic belt although I have seen some Units not wearing a belt at all.!!!

The time taken to reach this rank would again vary on the Unit and Mans ability but I would say that at 8 to 10 years excellent service would be required.

If you are after trousers for this look on Ebay UK under 'no 2 dress trousers or uniform,' there are normally loads on offer and are usually very cheap.

Regards Simon

Guest talltom

hello paul

a very fine jacket there i will hopefully answer the other questions price at the moment is about £20-£30 here in the uk

to get to the rank of staff sergeant (colour sergeant) usually about 16+years in the force on average

the loops would also be for his actuall medals when they have been mounted

the general service medal isn't just for northern ireland it would have a clasp on it could be for the gulf,lebanon and a few others i show picture of a mounted set with the northern ireland clasp

other picture shows the white parade belt worn with the logistics no.2 uniform

hope that helps

tom

Thanks guys. I think that I will swing by and pick this up. The jacket comes with a set of trousers. For headgear, did all EMs wear berets?

The tunic above does have two belt hooks installed in the sides. I will want to get a belt for it.

I like how the ribbon bars are attached to the tunic.

The tunic and trousers above are marked for 59 dollars. I will see if I can haggle with the vendor.

Guest talltom

Thanks guys. I think that I will swing by and pick this up. The jacket comes with a set of trousers. For headgear, did all EMs wear berets?

The tunic above does have two belt hooks installed in the sides. I will want to get a belt for it.

I like how the ribbon bars are attached to the tunic.

The tunic and trousers above are marked for 59 dollars. I will see if I can haggle with the vendor.

berets are worn most of the time nowadays if its a major parade then a visor is used

• 6 months later...

The belt would either be a green plastic belt or regimental white belt possibly. SSgt's generally have a red sash - must admit though I'm not sure on the RLC for that. The collar dogs would be what I think is called a Brunswick star with the crown at the top. The Royal Garter surrounding a shield with three cannon balls over three cannons and the motto 'we sustain' at the bottom. The buttons would have the garter surrounding a crown with a lion on it and they do look like RLC buttons from the picture

With Number 2 dress he should, I think, be wearing the peaked General Service cap rather than a beret but my British brethren can correct me on that.

The full size medals are mounted [sewn] to a metal bar of the appropriate length -2,5,7 medlas - which has a long pin across the back, much like that on a lady's brooch only longer. The pin is threaded through the 2 loops on the tunic so the full size hide the ribbon bar.

• 2 years later...