News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

'Odd' SS/LW officer's Schirmmütze ?

Hello to All,

Despite the eye-aggressive mismatching insignia I nevertheless acquired this good-looking and original officer's Schirmmütze some years ago.

Since then I have constantly been tempted to replace a 'correct' SS eagle on the cap, but at the same time I was intrigued by its oddity.

Someday I decided to commit a sacrilege by removing the LW-eagle in order to proceed to some investigation. However I only could notice some blurry shadow giving no real clue as what precise type of eagle had been originally placed on the cap.

To be continued,

Marc

The shadow looks like a LW eage. As far as I know, there is no WW2 visor configuration like this. It has been almost 70 years since the war's end... plenty of time for shadows like that to form from collector made modifications.

Absolutely Paul, it was also my first impression that a vet or collector neglected to replace a correct SS-eagle on the cap.

However, during my collecting years I learned to make a difference between shadow caused by original wear and shadow caused by static storage in collections :

- a worn cap or uniform gets an overall discoloration all around.

- on the contrary, the display in a collection is completely static and thus, the possible shadow caused by (sun)light will generally only affect one main side of the object.

In the case of this SS Schirmmütze, the wear and discoloration is perfectly consistent all around the cap and beneath the LW-eagle. Furthermore, no other shadow of any "originally applied" SS-eagle is discernable.

Furthermore, supposing this cap remained exposed in a collection or attic for more than 6 decades, it is hardly believable that no-one would have done the elementary effort to put at least a more realistic eagle on it (like a very easily found Heer, political eagle or even a fake) ? Even a newbie is aware that such an odd SS/LW configuration is utmost ridiculous.

But as you rightly stated, there's no similar SS/LW cap insignia configuration known (yet ?).

I am only aware of SS personnel being assigned to air reconnaissance and wearing a mixture of SS and LW insignia, uniforms and/or displaying LW-awards. But I have never seen, nor heard of mixed SS/LW insignia on headgear.

This is why I posted the cap for discussion on the Forum, hoping that more knowledgeable researchers and collectors than me could help me solving this enigma.

So, I keep an open mind and any suggestions, remarks and even critics are utmost welcome,

Marc

• 3 weeks later...