News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brunswick waterloo medal

1stgulf

Is it possible that anyone here would know how to confirm a person as a casualty or not on a Brunswick waterloo medal

named to HEINR MUELLER. 3. IAEG.BAT.

thanks Matthew

mueller.jpgmul1.JPG

mul2.JPG

mul3.JPG

Edited by 1stgulf

Hello Mathew, I have also asked the question on here about researching a Brunswick Waterloo medal recipient. Aside from an assertion that the Brunswick Waterloo medal rolls are available (but I have failed to locate any copies...my fault I am sure), there has been no advice. I had virtually given up hope, but decided to write to the Braunschweig (Brunswick) State Archives - they have kindly replied with some limited information, but helpfully passed me on to another source of help (which I am waiting to hear back from).

In the first instance, I think it would be worth you writing to the Braunschweig State Archives with your query. They can be contacted through this website:

http://www.braunschw...iv/kontakt.html (their e-mail address is around about the centre of the web[page!)

Hope this is of some help, Owen

Edied to add a P.S.

I have checked the excellent resource here (http://www.britishmedals.us/resources/downloads.html) to see if your man is listed on the Brunswick medal recipient section of their Waterloo Medal database. Unfortunately he isn't, but I think it is worth you sending in the detail of your medal to be included for wider reference value.

Edited by Monkey

Mr. Monkey:

thanks for the reply, seems this forum is a little sleepy....there are some references online, however I'm not able to read German. This medal is slightly out of theme for me, as I generally collect British Victorian medals, thanks for your suggestions on research.

As far as the medal database is concerned, I cannot download that, and think it's not a 100% full proof base of exactly what was issued, but rather what has been provided to a list of known medals in collections, by collectors..........not every Brunswick Waterloo medal that exisits.

Matthew

Hi Mathew, yes the database is very much a 'work in progress' and relies on people sending in medal details, in order to grow it. With regard to German, I don't speak German either...but, 'Google Translate' works well enough to get around that little hurdle (I am sure that they have a laugh at the other end, but it gets the message over!). Their reply was in German, but again Google translate did the job. The e-mail address for the Brunswick State archives is: stadtarchiv@braunschweig.de. Not much more I can do to help, but if I get any joy with the other source, then I will let you know. Good luck. Owen

Hi there=

The Brunswick medal rolls are partially extant )in fact probably completely extant). I would recommend you contact John Franklin via the 1815 web page- Project Hougoment. All sorts of odds things have been popping up over the past year (like French Imperial Guard medal rolls) and certainly there are Brunswick rosters out there. Alas, I do not have them.

I am hoping to garnish the Nassau and Hanoverian rolls when I go have a look at the Cumberland Hussars' court martial records in Wiesbaden next month.

Thanks to the Hanovarian Military History Society, we now know that all Hussars were awarded the medal. with the probable exception of Colonel Hake.

Many thanks, I will do as you suggest. I asked on the Napoleonic forum (alas no joy) a while ago, but didn't think to ask at 1815, Also, very interested in how you get on with the Nassau & Hanoverian rolls. Thanks again.

If I am right- that is a darn rare medal. There were only 2 (@ 250 men?) companies of Jaegers at Waterloo and both were amalgamated with 2 other detached companies. They saw fierce fighting. I am unsure if the rank of one of the privates of one of the light battalions of the Avant battalion would have been Jaeger, but I doubt it.

Owen thanks for the replys, please let me know how your results are from your research, and if it isn't too difficult, I'll give it a go. I wonder if anyone could direct to a source of ribbon for this medal, and perhaps a suspension ring, I've seen some repro british style waterloo suspension rings, but looking for a smaller version or as clsoe to the original that would be on this medal.

Matthew

Owen thanks for the replys, please let me know how your results are from your research, and if it isn't too difficult, I'll give it a go. I wonder if anyone could direct to a source of ribbon for this medal, and perhaps a suspension ring, I've seen some repro british style waterloo suspension rings, but looking for a smaller version or as clsoe to the original that would be on this medal.

Matthew

Mathew, I have just received a letter from the Staatarchiv in Wolfenbuttel saying (in German) that they have carried out some research and have results to send me. They are asking for payment of a Euros 17.50 fee befotre releasing the results (so I don't know what they have yet!). Anyway, I have just sent an on-line payment to them - let's see what comes back. I will keep you posted.

Ref suspension ring etc, the ring on mine is original (split suspension) - pic follows, so you can see it in close-up...I have a feeling that (www.dixonsmedals.co.uk) sell replacement medal rings (at least they would be a start point). Not sure about replacement ribbon though.

CHRNKRUG.jpg

@ Monkey when you send me the complete name,rang and Unit ... is it Corporal ? Ill give you all Informations you need.

regards

Marc

Hello Marco, I am very grateful to you and have replied to your PM. Owen

Excellent! Can you share the information with us? Was he a Jaeger or a member of the Avant Grd Btn? Do you have a medal list for these at all? :0

this info was provided to me, i do not know the source of such material, and cannot vouch for it's accuracy.

there were 4 men Heinrich Muller.

Heinrich Müller 3.IAEG born in town Bodenstein survived ,not wounded he lived when reciving the medal left the army

- Heinrich Müller 3.IAEG born in town Kissenbrück survived, not wounded lived when reciving the medal left the army

- Heinrich Müller 3.IAEG born in Kreyensen survived , not wounded still active as Soldier when reciving the medal

- Heinrich Müller 3.IAEG born in Blekenstedt survived,not woundet lived when reciving the medal and left army

this is the 3 Bat Jager

Hallo guys,

a collector friend and me are working on a book about Brunswick Medal for Waterlooo it will include the roll too.

We have the Brunswick Waterlooroll ,it has every soldier from every rank and unit.

The book is planned to come out in 2015 for the anniversary.

@1stgulf

the total of name Müller in 3.IAEG.BAT is 12 (but diffrent frontnames not Heinrich)

here comes a small look inn the roll for you and special for monkey.

I am collecting brunswick medals and all related items out of that time.I have collector friends all over the world ,so if you have a medal for trade or sell please let me know.Let me know what medals you searching and i will look out to find a good trade for you too.

regards

Marc

picture

Marc, many thanks indeed - after a long search, it is good to see his name in print! I will PM my e-mail address to you so that you can let me know when your book is ready.

With regard to the picture of his entry in the roll, I am afraid that I can't read the place name? I can only read "Alt Brand????" on the first line and can't read the 2nd line at all. Also, I can't really read the first name (after Krug) very well...but I assume that it is 'Christian'? Can you help tell me what it says?

I am a member of the Waterloo Association - their name changed recently from Waterloo Committee to Waterloo Association (but website still showing it as a Committee) (http://www.waterloocommittee.org.uk/welcome.html) and a 'friend' of 'Waterloo 200' (http://www.waterloo200.org/countdown/) and will certainly mention your forthcoming book to friends there - I know that there will be interest. As you can imagine, there is a good deal of planning underway for events to mark the 200th anniversary of the Battle in 2015,

Thanks again,

Owen

Krug Christian Altbrandesnleben bei Magdeburg (try Google its a town near city of Magdeburg) last you see that he served as Comp.Chir

Thank you, I have found ‘Altbrandsleben’ - your information has been extremly helpful.

Marc! Welcome. i can not wait to see your book . I am aware of @ 15 Brunswick medals in the USA. I would LOVE to get hold of a copy of your book.

At the 1815 group/Project Hougemont (see us on Facebook) there has been MUCH discussion of new letters/documents etc. that have been unearthed in the past few years.

Is there any way I can obtain a copy of the medal roll? I would happily pay for it.

I am looking for information on the following medals...all of which have been posted on the 1815 Project Hougemont on Facebook:

Carl. Willecke, Av. Garde

Friedr. Kirchhoff, Husr. Regt.

Aug. Kuehnau. Comp. Chir. Leib. Regt.

Theodore Salomon, Coronet, Uhl. Esq. (large ring on medal)

Heinrich Uttermark, Equip. Train

Andr. Jaeger. 3. Jaeger Btn.

Carl. Loehr, R. Art.

Ioh. Hornung. 1. Line. Bat.

Heink. Konnecke. 2. Jaeger. Btn.

Elias. Nisse. F. Art.

Friedr. Grundman. 1. Jaeger

Srgt. Heinr. Voigt. 3. Line. Btn.

Peter probst. Hussar Regt. (with a paining of the recipient)-medal mounted on a barrette with a LS cross and a Henry the Lion merit Cross

John Suessmilch. 2. Line Btn. (mounted with an 1814 Prussian campaign medal)

Joh. Zack.

Having paid my Euro 17.50, I have now received the results of my enquiry to the State Archives in Wolfenbuttel. They replied by letter (in German), giving the following information:

• Confirmation that Christian Krug is on their copy of the Brunswick Waterloo Medal Roll (they give a line serial number);
    • Confirmation that he is listed as Company Surgeon with 1st Line Batallion;
    • That his place of birth is given as 'Alt Brandesleben', near Magdeburg;
    • That he retired from the army (no date given).

They also give me the correspondence address of the local archive (Landeshauptarchiv Sachsen-Anhalt) which they say will hold more detail on Krug.

So, aside from the 'next steps' address, they have really just confirmed the information that Marc so kindly provided. It would have been nice if they had included a copy of the medal entry in the roll (but again, thanks to Marc, I have at least seen that now). I think that the next steps need to be a visit, in person, to the Landeshauptarchiv Sachsen-Anhalt (with a German friend (fortunately I have one who lives in Berlin!)).