News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ehrenkrueuz der Deutschen Mutter / Mothers Cross

• Replies 90
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here?s a bog standard bronze cross in a paper packet, this one was given to great aunt Karoline who died in 1941 I was told.

The reverse of the packet might be interesting to some (and boring to others) as they made a printing error in the address, blacked it out and reprinted it. I know there has been a lot of discussion about a spelling mistake on the Westwall award packets so I thought I?d show this.

The mistake in the blacked out bit is Nahe whereas the correction reads Nahr, these words are hard to differentiate (says me) when spoken in German.

Tony

No Dave, just the ribbon and cross.

I've been told she didn't want it anyway and just stuffed it in a draw. Great aunt Karoline was from the anti Adolf side. Lucky she didn't chuck it eh.

Tony

No Dave, just the ribbon and cross.

I've been told she didn't want it anyway and just stuffed it in a draw. Great aunt Karoline was from the anti Adolf side. Lucky she didn't chuck it eh.

Tony

Have you got the citation to go with it mate?

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

Warlord,

That is a great first pattern gold cross. You dont see those every day as they are rare and command a hefty price. Also interesting the other is lacking the inscription. Must have made it past the inspectors.

Nice crosses fellas!

Rob.

Guest WAR LORD

You find the Mothers cross in Bronze, Silver and Gold, plus mins without the inscription. These are another form. The matched set came cased returned by a Vet who liberated them in 1945. The First patern inscription was hand engraved. Thus you have to have the unmarked form to work on. In fact you have three forms of the cross.

• 3 months later...

Good evening Gentlemen,

I have finally been able to photograph this piece, it having been in my care for nearly 15 years. Although its a common piece, and also damaged, I have been told the history of this particular medal. So...

This was given to me by the wife of my best man....it was awarded to her mother who smuggled it into Australia when they emigrated after the war. To get it here, the swastika was coated (and I mean COATED) in thick purple nail polish, and then hidden the bottom of a shoe, in a suitcase.

The awardee's husband served in a parachute regiment on the Eastern Front, and basically won every award available to an NCO. He sent all his awarded medals home to western Germany during the course of the war, but when the Americans were approaching, his wife buried them "somewhere in the garden", as they had been told that if anything like that was found, they'd be shot. I had the honour of meeting this gentleman many years ago, but by that time he was suffering from the onset of senility and couldn't remember very much at all.

Anyway, as I mentioned before, even though this is a common, damaged piece, I'm still very happy to have it, and to know some of its history!

cheers Jason