News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BRUNEI POLICE GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL WITH BAR

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen, in a recent SE Asia trip I bought a medal that might seems common to most of people who are interested in SE Asia awards. But watch from close. This medal : Pingat Perkhidmatan Polis has a bar on ribbon. I have ask to the malay staff of my hotel (in Singapore) to translate, some where able to read, but told me the words were not malay.

But I got from same seller, the miniature with exact same bar with matching inscription (see 2 thread below).

I ask to the special comission departement of a London Co, but they don't know the local regulation.

If anyone can help,he's most welcome (click on picture to increase its size).

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Looks as though you made a good haul, Emmanuel. Where did you find these?

The language is Malay. The top one says "Medal For Police Service" Can't read the writing in the scroll.

The bottom one says "Fifty Year Anniversary"

Can't read the Jawi script (Arabic style) on the bar. Sorry. Maybe Windu can help.

Best,

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

• 8 months later...

I wonder what percentage of the Brunei police force are Gurkhas or Sikhs. Maybe none, but those two groups were the 'cops of choice' for many years in that part of the world and Brunei's Gurkha Reserve Unit is made up of men retired from Britain's Brigade of Gurkhas, who have a battalion permanently stationed there and from the Singapore police Force's Gurkha Contingent, an elite unit of that state's police.

Here's a link to a British Armed Forces tv clip on the life of Gurkhas in Brunei. Sounds like a good billet! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FlqDjZuxP0

• 3 years later...

Windu is right. The arabic script on the silver bar reads "Sepuluh Tahun (10 Years)"

The Police Service Medal (Pingat Perkhidmatan Polis) was instituted in 1977 to mark the tenth anniversary of the Sultan's ascension to the throne. It is awarded to all members of the Royal Brunei Police and some civilian employees. The medal is awarded with and without the bar. Only members of the police force who serve throughout the first ten years of the Sultan's reign were awarded the medal with the silver bar. 

An interesting design feature is the 29 point star surrounding the Sultan's bust. This is symbolic of the fact that Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah is Brunei's 29th sultan. 

Edited by Royal Insignia

That's really helpful - and welcome to GMIC!

Having people from different countries who are familiar with insignia from their country helps the rest of us struggling to study them from afar (and often in languages we don't speak!).

Looking forwards to hearing more from you in the future!