News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It looks like a nice one from these pictures.

yes agreed -from these photos.

True story; long before the days of internet, I bought a OZL from Manions. The catalog had a photo of the front, but when I received it and turned it over it was FLAT as a board. just the main piece a one-sided poured pot-metal with green stones affixed to the obverse and the reverse was as featureless as a reverse HK (without hallmarks). (This must have been a museum piece, because it would never satisfy as a fake to anyone who could pick it up and look at the backside.)

There return policy required that I write, at length, what was wrong with the piece....really?!? Their crack experts at Manions didn't know that real OZLs have "something" on the back side.

Final insult was that while they returned my money for the cross, they would not return the buyer's premium or the shipping cost. I have never used them again.

Good cross! Late 19th century, and gold. If it's not damaged, go for it! ;)

True story; long before the days of internet, I bought a OZL from Manions. The catalog had a photo of the front, but when I received it and turned it over it was FLAT as a board. just the main piece a one-sided poured pot-metal with green stones affixed to the obverse and the reverse was as featureless as a reverse HK (without hallmarks). (This must have been a museum piece, because it would never satisfy as a fake to anyone who could pick it up and look at the backside.)

There return policy required that I write, at length, what was wrong with the piece....really?!? Their crack experts at Manions didn't know that real OZLs have "something" on the back side.

Final insult was that while they returned my money for the cross, they would not return the buyer's premium or the shipping cost. I have never used them again.

Never seen one of them, but the Göde pieces. Was it silver and glass, or rather plastic with odd som metal?

Never seen one of them, but the Göde pieces. Was it silver and glass, or rather plastic with odd som metal?

it was terrible. I don't know if it was plastic or glass stones, but the body was some kind of poor quality metal. It would be fine for a display in poorly-lighted, poorly-secured museum where the viewer couldn't get very close to it as an example of what Imperial Era awards look like. otherwise.....

Edited by Claudius

The Zähringer Löwen that I started the thread with was sold for 685 Euro , probably to a German buyer ..

Weight 16,4 gram , 43 mm dia. Nice one awarded to a man who was at the Royal court of King Oscar II in Sweden. Sad to see the Orders now

sold all over and a group of 12 awards splitted up.

Christer

• 5 years later...
    • 1 year later...
    3 hours ago, chuck said:

... what period did they make the early crosses? ...

As far as I know the sky with the pink touch is related to the maker Jacob Chr. Petry and the period 1860ies and 1870ies. Therefore this style is typical for the awards with swords of the wars of 1866 and 1870/71.

Note the difference in the colour between the both decorations on the medalbar of member Paris.

Edited by Komtur

very beautiful award and on my wish list. 

I can see the center medallion is much simpler castle than the later version which also appears to have a thicker ring around the center medallion. 

Regards, 

Chuck 

1 hour ago, FAR 32 said:

Regarding the medallions of this award, I notice three rocks (or ostrich eggs?) laying in the grass in front of the tower.  Does anybody know what their significance is, or what they represent?  

Unfortunately I have no answer ...

ozl s a.jpg

16 hours ago, FAR 32 said:

Regarding the medallions of this award, I notice three rocks (or ostrich eggs?) laying in the grass in front of the tower.  Does anybody know what their significance is, or what they represent?  

That's very interesting, I did not find anything either.

Does anyone have more pictures of versions in "Brillanten", I only know the one from Wikipedia

Zaehringer_loewe.jpg